79 cj5 258 valve cover

79 cj5 258 valve cover
Agree...and not because the later design was better. It's only because warped plastic OEM valve covers created a healthy demand for aftermarket aluminum covers!

I used the fel-pro silicone gasket and IIRC it has metal in it to help it hold it's shape. Been in a little over a year and a half and no leaking yet. My biggest issue on the valve cover is the breather on the back side. It spews some serious blowout and I have yet to figure out why.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation, Scout. Do you know the part number for the silicone/metal gasket?

Scout...I think this might be the elusive gasket I was referring to earlier. Part number AND vendor would be very helpful info, as these are difficult to find, and don't seem to appear on Fel Pro's website. Thanks in advance!

:(

Because I keep all my invoices, (in a secure place where HH6 cannot see how much I really spend on the Jeep:cool:😂😂, it's really just a binder in my office) I do have the part number. Keep in mind I have an 81 with the 258 so results may vary. The part number for the Fel-Pro gasket I used is: Fel-Pro PermaDry Valve Cover Gaskets VS50244R. I got mine from Summit and it cost $40.99

Scout so I'm thinking you have the newer type head ? I went with the cork, that is what came with my over haul kit. It was a little work to get it the correct way. Still have not cranked the engine

Scout....I do the same with all my Jeep invoices as well, although my HH6 found out about them a long time ago! After 20 years, the stack of paperwork is significant, which makes me shudder to think just how much I've put into the Jeep. Of course, I'll never tally it up because ignorance is bliss!

Thanks for providing the part number, but that gasket is for the later valve cover, and unfortunately doesn't fit the valve cover for 1980 and earlier. Appreciate you looking it up though...I'm sure someone here will find it very helpful.

Scout so I'm thinking you have the newer type head ? I went with the cork, that is what came with my over haul kit. It was a little work to get it the correct way. Still have not cranked the engine
Apparently so, to my understanding 81was a weird year and type of valve cover depends on when in the year the Jeep was built. To add extra fun my CJ7 is an export model for the European market. Makes finding the right bolts an adventure as to whether they are metric or SAE.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Believe me, even the domestics are a mixed bag with metric & SAE.

I have the original steel cover on my ‘79, replaced the gasket with aviation sealant and a FelPro gasket, and still leaks slightly. Also my oil cap no longer has the rubber ring in it and that is another source of leaking oil. Coincidentally I can’t find another cap to replace that one, cause they match with the valve cover they come with.

Can you post up a picture of the cap ?

Stant #10066 or 11066 should work fine if you have the OEM steel valve cover. I've been using these for 20 years with the stock 258 in my 1980 CJ5, which has the same valve cover. Even though there are two part numbers, the caps are the same. I believe Stant just changed the part numbers at some point. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks