'78 CJ5 Acme Hard Top on '70 CJ5, it WORKS!

'78 CJ5 Acme Hard Top on '70 CJ5, it WORKS!

rocmoc

Jeeper
Thanks
Tucson, AZ & Mexico (both Mainland & Baja)
Vehicle(s)
1970 CJ5, V6, 3spd, power steering, headers, electric fans, upgraded larger radiator, '78 grill, disc brakes (front only), swing pedals, hyd clutch, extended front shock mounts, upgraded front driveline w larger u-joints, warn OD, D30 front diff, lockers, 2100 carb, working on a '74 tub replacement, '78 windshield frame with '78+ Acme hardtop
First let me say I need parts which I will talk about at the end of the post.

The top fits perfect but I did make some changes. I acquired a '78 windshield frame & roll bar 1 1/2 years ago and stored them for this project. Acquired '78 windshield hinges 9 months ago when I purchased a '74 tub with hanging pedals, another project / tub replacement. Then 3 months ago I acquired a CJ5 Acme Hard Top but had hardware missing, very good price. A month ago I changed out the windshield. Went really well but you have to drill/enlarge a couple of the hinge holes at the body mounts. Also a hole cut out for the wiper motor wiring. Drill holes and tap threads so I could use the screw latches replacing the old style latches that hold the pre-76 windshield frame in place, these are the latches mounted to the dash. Everything fit will. Then I replaced the existing roll bar with the narrow & shorter '78 roll bar. Finally picked up the top, was located a state over and stored at a local friend's house. Did the install yesterday and everything fit beautifully. Just a few small adjustments, a trip to the local hardware store for bolts and it is in place. Looks GREAT!

Now the challenge. The upper hinge on both doors is missing, the upper hinges of the tailgate door that mount to the top are missing. I can make them but if someone has some or a source it would be my first choice. OR ideas! Will try WillyWorks in Tucson tomorrow.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Last edited:
Pictures Please.

First let me say I need parts which I will talk about at the end of the post.

The top fits perfect but I did make some changes. I acquired a '78 windshield frame & roll bar 1 1/2 years ago and stored them for this project. Acquired '78 windshield hinges 9 months ago when I purchased a '74 tub with hanging pedals, another project / tub replacement. Then 3 months ago I acquired a CJ5 Acme Hard Top but had hardware missing, very good price. A month ago I changed out the windshield. Went really well but you have to drill/enlarge a couple of the hinge holes at the body mounts. Also a hole cut out for the wiper motor wiring. Drill holes and tap threads so I could use the screw latches replacing the old style latches that hold the pre-76 windshield frame in place, these are the latches mounted to the dash. Everything fit will. Then I replaced the existing roll bar with the narrow & shorter '78 roll bar. Finally picked up the top, was located a state over and stored at a local friend's house. Did the install yesterday and everything fit beautifully. Just a few small adjustments, a trip to the local hardware store for bolts and it is in place. Looks GREAT!

Now the challenge. The upper hinge on both doors is missing, the upper hinges of the tailgate door that mount to the top are missing. I can make them but if someone has some or a source it would be my first choice. OR ideas! Will try WillyWorks in Tucson tomorrow.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

:)I got lucky and found a rare Early CJ Acme top so I did not have to go through the Windshield and hinge change program as you did.....although I have not yet installed it........
I Have looked around for replacement parts and they are pretty much non existent ........I was looking for replacement Stainless hinges....... even went back to who made the hinges for Acme years back and they only made them for Acme and never made any direct replacements. Pretty basic hinge with the pin on the door side so the body side is just a blank hinge pretty easy to make.........I will probably just plate or powder coat mine when I get to that point..........Eberhard ( Cleveland , Ohio ) supplied the door locks and strikers and they are still available..........here is a few pictures of what you are talking about.

:D:D:D:D

:)I got lucky and found a rare Early CJ Acme top so I did not have to go through the Windshield and hinge change program as you did.....although I have not yet installed it........
I Have looked around for replacement parts and they are pretty much non existent ........I was looking for replacement Stainless hinges....... even went back to who made the hinges for Acme years back and they only made them for Acme and never made any direct replacements. Pretty basic hinge with the pin on the door side so the body side is just a blank hinge pretty easy to make.........I will probably just plate or powder coat mine when I get to that point..........Eberhard ( Cleveland , Ohio ) supplied the door locks and strikers and they are still available..........here is a few pictures of what you are talking about.

:D:D:D:D

Is the upper hinge the same as the lower? I believe it is and if it is I will be able to use my lower hinges as the pattern. I will be taking my lower hinges into WillyWorks on Thursday to compare with the three bolt hinge made for the Jeep manufactured top. If the holes and pin align then it maybe easiest to use a cutoff saw to remove the extra material.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Thanks rocmoc, I am interested to see what that top looks like on a early CJ5 (pre 1972) Looks like the hardware is pretty generic.What a surprise LOL it's a jeep.I have had 3 meyer metal tops and they are OK but a little noisy.The fiberglas should be better. Good luck with your project. Mike

Is the upper hinge the same as the lower? I believe it is and if it is I will be able to use my lower hinges as the pattern. I will be taking my lower hinges into WillyWorks on Thursday to compare with the three bolt hinge made for the Jeep manufactured top. If the holes and pin align then it maybe easiest to use a cutoff saw to remove the extra material.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

At least on these early doors they are the same top & bottom.........about 3" square.

Pic! WillyWorks has Jeep hinges so Thursday I will see if I can adapt them or have to make my own.

955-jeep-top-001

Jeep Top 001 - '69 Jeep CJ5 - Gallery - UTV BOARD - Side X Side, MUV, UTV Forum

I have never put a pic up here so I tried a couple different ways. Hope one works!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Only one worked and it is a link but you can still see it.

Looks great:chug: Looks good with the short front fenders and layed back w/s. This will get some second looks from old school guys like myself.
Nice work. Mike

Hinges!!!!!!! I was able to get a couple of used Jeep hinges from WillyWorks in Tucson. They matched up pretty close. I use a cut-off saw to remove the extra material with the third hole. (Acme hinges only have two holes and the Jeep hinge has three with extra material in the length of the hinge for the third hole) I had to change the hole locations in/on the upper door hinge location. I used the two existing acme hinges on the top of each side. I used the new modified Jeep hinges on the bottom. I mounted them in the Acme hinge holes already existing in the bottom hinge location of the door. I had to change out the lower hinge mounts on the firewall/body from the '70 version (4 bolts) to the later '78 (2 bolts). Since the holes did not even come close to aligning up, I used the drilling of these holes to adjust/account for the little difference in the Jeep hinges. Worked Great. Would not do any good to take a pic as it looks like existing, nothing to see. Now it looks like all the pics of Acme tops I have seen posted except it is on a shorty CJ5. NOW, I took the old '70 lower hinge mounts that were on the Jeep firewall/body and I used them for the body portion of the hinges of the rear/tailgate window. Had to use the cut-off saw and remove a little material from each side, they were too wide. Held them in place, marked the holes and drilled. Bolted on and now I have a rear window. Just in time as a hour later a monsoon thunderstorm came thu and dumped a ton of rain. Jeep would have been full of water. Still have to clean up a few little items now but the big work is done and she looks GREAT!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks