Build Thread '73 CJ Everything Build

Build Thread '73 CJ Everything Build
I was looking at your initial pictures, I really like the white color with the black windshield frame. Goes very well with shiny black steelies and whitewall tires. This is what I am doing with my other Willys era CJ.

I was looking at your initial pictures, I really like the white color with the black windshield frame. Goes very well with shiny black steelies and whitewall tires. This is what I am doing with my other Willys era CJ.

I enjoy the color palette as well. I'd spend the fix some of the paint issues but it's a wheeler so 🤷🏼*♂️

Early Christmas present to me. Plus I got my pitman arm reamed to accommodate the 1 ton link end. Steering installed and I also installed the front brake lines.

Making some progress. Have the brakes all hooked up and I'm working on bleeding them. Heard it run for the first time in over a year. Took forever to find an adapter that would work with the master cylinder. Converted from 6an to 1/2" -20 (adapter doesn't exist fyi).

I will be ordering a custom 1350 Dana 20 yoke so I can get my rear driveshaft built. High angle driveshaft is going to be expensive.

Ordered a rear driveshaft from Tom Woods. Looks pretty good installed. I will need to run a limiting strap due to the amount of travel I have. My operating angle is approximately 23° at the CV . I'm pumped to get this thing back out on the trails

man your Jeep is cool, its kinda crazy how beefy your pedals are, they slimed mine down a lot by 83

i do love the tom woods driveshafts they are real nice

I made some more progress a week or so ago. I installed my front shock towers. I like the look of the Ford shock towers from an 87-83 F250 and they are budget friendly. I also got my brakes bleed using the syringe method (I highly recommend this method).

So first off I had to grind off the factory frame mounted shock mounts. The passenger side was a breeze. However the drivers side had the OEM brake line running directly through the mount. In the process of grinding off the mount I knocked the brake line. 🤦🏼*♂️. I didn't even notice I have made contact with the line until after I was done. Add a new brake line to the build list.

Once it was all said and done I then had to measure the best location to mount the shock towers and also make them fall within specs for shocks. I ended up using Pro Comp ES 334008 shocks. They extend to 34" and collapse down to 19". I will be using almost every bit of this travel on the front.
I clamped the shock towers to the frame for mock up, found my ideal shock angle and tacked em in. Once I had them both where I wanted them it was time to let my Hobart eat.
I'm happy with the results.

After I finished welding, i began running my new brake line. I bought a diy kit that came with all the fittings. This allowed me to eliminate an adapter and coupling fitting 👍🏼.

I'm now moving on to the rear shocks and front driveshaft (which is 2x+ the length of the rear shaft). Ton Wood's will be getting another call from me soon. Their customer service was superior.

Pro Comp ES334008 installed on the front and frame painted. The shocks are at a 6° angle and make a world of difference for the handling.

I also fixed the brake line issue.

I'm thinking about triangulating the rear shocks. I plan to mount them to the spring plates similar to the last photo. I will need to fab up my own frame support for the too mounts.

Last edited:
Nice work. Looking good !

Pulled the trigger on some shocks. They'll be here next week (CV may delay shipping). Ordered Pro Comp ES 324507 they have 10" of travel.

I have decided not to triangulate the shocks. I will be welding mounts directly to the axle tube and frame.

Also thanks for the kind words. I'm very close to being finished with the expensive parts of the build. I will definitely have some trail shots and videos linked up for all to see.

Rear shocks are done and installed.

Endless list of things still to do but ultimately a limit strap for the rear axle, a front driveshaft and tires will have me wheeling and posting trail shots and videos.

Update:

I purchased and installed a rear pinion guard and limit strap. The Limit strap is to prevent me from exploding my rear driveshaft if I happen to go airborne. And as always here are a few pics.

Nice. Where did you get the guard ?

Ordered the front driveshaft from Tom Woods. Got the ultimate travel shaft. It'll be here tomorrow and them I'mma do some wheeling. Probably flex I out at the local spot and shoot a few photos.

Front driveshaft arrived as expected. Top quality products from Tom Woods. I highly recommend them. As promised here are the photos of the shaft on the floor and installed. Also a new stick addition to my 40oz Hydro Flask bottle. Probably get it out on the road tomorrow for a quick flex photo shoot.

Got out and did a little more flexing. I like how it is performing thus far. I'd post pics but apparently the new format says my photos are too large and all of my previous posted photos are gone. Hmm great update.

I haven't had any problems posting pictures Also gives you a choice of full size or small pictures

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom