72 Jeep 304 V8 oil pump gears

72 Jeep 304 V8 oil pump gears

A 71 CJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
71 CJ5, 304, 3 sp
anyone know what the dimples mean on my water pump impellers? do they have to line up or be on the same side? just want to make sure i put it together right

anyone know what the dimples mean on my water pump impellers? do they have to line up or be on the same side? just want to make sure i put it together right

Not only do I not know why the dimples are there, now I'm wondering if mine had dimples that i didn't notice when I installed 'em......Anxious to see what falls out of this tree....... Sighhhhhh.

I don't know either, but interested to find out..(so hopefully someone on here does!)

I could not wait any longer so I called Melling oil pumps and asked to speak with a tech- he says the dimples should be on the same side-in this case facing up. as to why the impellers were marked he really did not know-possibly a slight chamfer for installing the idler gear easier ???????
for those who may be worried now he also mentioned that it doesn't really matter as long as they're in there.
is this something a pro would know right off the bat? anyway- it is good enough for me-I want my rig back on the trail.. thanks JEEP C J .COM

Drilling dimples into the bottom gear face allows oil to well up in them providing lubrication for the lower plate reducing wear. Many aftermarket pumps have them. Not saying melling was wrong just a side note. Pretty common mod for 231 buick v6 's with alluminium front covers.

Attachments

• IMG_1001.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
thanks Tinman- I had seen the modified pumps in my search for oil pump impeller marks.
my impellers have just 1 mark each-almost like a timing mark. since it does not matter maybe I will run them opposite-a little extra oil on the cover to cut down wear could be good.

Bulltear has a nifty gear set for amc pumps. Bulltear.com

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks