4x4 manual hubs c clip won't fit on now!

4x4 manual hubs c clip won't fit on now!
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7. guess it has an 89 straight 6 with weber crab. Auto trans and transfer case (not sure what but stock [maybe 300 on the transfer]) open diffs. Hard top and doors
Hi all, so I have a question for you all that have either done your wheel bearings and/or ball joints. Have you ever had a problem with getting the c clip back on after you did all the work?

Basically i just did the ball joints an since the hubs were off thought it would be good to do the wheel bearings too. I did the spindle bearing also. So now I'm get it all back together an i go to put the c clip on to hold the manual 4x4 hub an the axle is not out far enough or the hub not back far enough. What did i do wrong? Could it be that the inner wheel bearing is not seated fully, or possible something with the spindle? I don't need much.

Does any one know what size bolt will screw in to the axle? Thought if i could get a bolt in there i might be able pull the axle out enough to get the c clip on.

Called it a night so I'll be back at it in the morning maybe then it will all fit . If not i guess I'll be taking it all apart again

Thanks
Scott

That is exactly what that threaded hole is for. Find a bolt that fits, I don't remember hat size it is. I rarely have the right thread, but all you really have to do is catch a thread (don't damage the thread) and pull. the axle will easily come out a little and you can snap the ring right on. This seems rudimentary now, but I remember the first time I did this job, there was no internet to get answers from, I got frustrated, could even be called MAD and stuck a bolt in there and pulled, "Well LOOK AT THAT." It all seems so simple now.

In light of not knowing what size bolt, I took a long screw driver placed it behind the u joint an BAM! Got it out far to snap on.
Thanks for help

The hole is 3/8-16thd;)
LG

Lumpy - I more or less knew that, but wasn't sure so I wanted the man to work it out for himself. :) Finding a bolt size, especially a good old English threaded bolt isn't all that difficult. But, that's probably more for old hands like us that have a bolt bin laying around. When all else fails I grab my tap/die set and figure it out from there. It is funny though, I never seem to have a standard thread 3/8" bolt laying around, so I catch a thread with what can be found and pull the axle that way. ..... a side question here, have you noticed how difficult its getting to find 7/16th nuts and bolts lately? Even fine threads can be a challenge. Yes, I've got a Copper State Nut & Bolt store available, but sometimes you find yourself needing a quick trip to ACE just to stand there wondering where the bolt size you need disappeared to.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks