4X4 light stays on except when in Reverse

4X4 light stays on except when in Reverse

uss806

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7
85 CJ7 dash 4X4 light stays on in 2 w/d except when in Reverse. How can I check the sensor? thanks

:ww::dbanana::banana:

If you are 110% certain, that the frontend is disengaged....
Most likely, it's the sensor,
I have replaced mine a few times over the yrs.
Call these guys-
https://www.willysworks.com/

LG

Do your reverse lights work? If 4wd is engaged and you put it in reverse, does the light do out? Sounds like maybe the 4wd light is tied into the reverse light circuit, though I'm not 100% sure on how the electrical part would work.

Both the reverse and 4x4 wires are in the same wire bundle and share a plug at the firewall. Both use a roller ball type switch to activate the respective light, however the reverse uses 2 wires to complete the circuit, 4x4 is only one wire. The switch is located on top of D300 shifter rails.
I would look for shorted wires or a grounding issues. Find the plug and disconnect it, if the light goes out it's a wiring issuse. If not then it could be grounding issue.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks