4bt Cummins Diesel Swap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4bt Cummins Diesel Swap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kickitandholdit

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'53 CJ3B
So, know a few of us are contemplating this swap. So, that being said, if you know anything about this swap at all please comment. Asking for opinions too. What all goes into this swap? How much would it cost? what has to be changed?
I really like the idea of this swap so clue me in!!!!!

Thanks in advance. :chug:

So, know a few of us are contemplating this swap. So, that being said, if you know anything about this swap at all please comment. Asking for opinions too. What all goes into this swap? How much would it cost? what has to be changed?
I really like the idea of this swap so clue me in!!!!!

Thanks in advance. :chug:

Official Cummins 4BT Swap Thread for CJ-7's - JeepForum.com

Has some good info in this thread.

Dang, Dave beat me to it and gave a better answer.

THere is no way i will be able to do the bracketry and lining everything up and im only familiar with gas burners but i think im gonna keep an eye out for a 4bt. Better gas milage, more torque, its cool, and hahaha well jeep should have made a diesel to begin with :D

THere is no way i will be able to do the bracketry and lining everything up and im only familiar with gas burners but i think im gonna keep an eye out for a 4bt. Better gas milage, more torque, its cool, and hahaha well jeep should have made a diesel to begin with :D

Here is one in Dallas: stepvan/breadtruck

Plus, I have read you can cut up and recycle the truck body since it is aluminum.

THere is no way i will be able to do the bracketry and lining everything up
Putting a 4BT (or any diesel) into a CJ is going to be a big job no matter how you do it.

Putting a 4BT (or any diesel) into a CJ is going to be a big job no matter how you do it.

I know man, I have a buddy in town thats a diesel mechanic and a fabricator.. I might half to gather the parts up and hand it to him and tell him to put it together haha unless I can afford to get a 2yr tech degree from automotive school after my 4yr :chug:

Jeep did have a diesel option in the 80's...hard to find here in the States...I know they are runnin around in South, and Central America.

never heard of such. A 4bt sounds fun. I think a 4bt would be nice in a scrambler

I'm a diesel fan too...for a bunch of reasons. That being said...I don't like the smell....on occasion it's not bad, but as the previous poster said...I don't want to be crawlin' all day and smelling it.....bad as an old boat !!!

Some specifications:

Diesel engines that were available from the factory in various Jeeps or CJ's over the years:

1984-1986 Renault 2.1L 126 turbo diesel, also available in a non-turbo version, think France (mostly found in XJ's, MJ in 86, some CJ's were mostly export). Turbocharged Specifications: 85 hp (63 kW) at 3,750 rpm, 132 lb⋅ft (179 N⋅m) at 2,750 rpm. Weight 331 pounds (150 kg)

Nissan SD-33/Minsei Diesel Industries, Ltd. 3.3L (mostly found in CJ-10 tugs). Specifications: Inline-6, 3.2L/198.02 cu in (3245 cc), 70 kW (95 PS, 94 HP) and 220 Nm (22.4 kg-m; 162 ft-lb) of torque, firing order 1-4-2-6-3-5, turbo & non-turbo models exist. Many had 24 volt electrical systems for military and Oz markets depending on year and in 1983 they were revised to use a screw-on oil filter instead of the"toilet-paper" roll type. Injector pump is a licensed to Japan version of Bosch design.

It is rare and difficult to get parts for either of the above engines today in an average autoparts store here in the US.

The Nissan would require a custom machined adapter to fit any late-model overdrive transmission of any popularity. I think it had an SAE-4 industrial pattern on the block and an adapter to the transmission AMC was using on them.

RR

For more reference information:

Here's a link to a site worth checking out that was an offshoot from the original Yahoo diesel swaps group. The site has plenty of information on swapping a diesel into Jeeps and just about anything that has wheels:

https://www.4btswaps.com/

Here you will find several different CJ's of various years and types that have a 4BT swapped in, Chevy, Ford, Dodge and lots of other rigs with different diesels in them.

The transmission reference sections are good as to what is strong enough and compatible with a diesel conversions with recommendations on transmission/axle ratios for best MPG's.

RR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks