4.2 idle jets still dripping after cleaning

4.2 idle jets still dripping after cleaning

Smurfette

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 Jeep CJ7
Hey everyone! Got a question for ya. Today the jeep startin runnin real rough. My fiance diagnosed it as clogged idle jets. He said its a Carter 2bbl, and the fuel is just dripping out of the idle jets, bad enough that its just out of one at times. He followed the popular cleaning guide for them from the internet. Put it all back together and its still dripping. any ideas?

Dripping? that is a test I am unaware of. When the carb is apart are the jets clear? can air blow through them freely? Sure some jets have small orofices but it's clear or it's not. Remove them were possible and hold up to a light and it shoud be clear.

Last edited:
Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem

Says in there how to diagnose it, looking down in the carb while at idle. There should be a steady spray of fuel, not dripping. all of the passages are clear. He held everything up to a light to make sure there was no clog. Could it possibly be a clogged fuel filter? like if the filter was clogged there wouldn't be enough pull to get a steady stream at idle?

Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem

Says in there how to diagnose it, looking down in the carb while at idle. There should be a steady spray of fuel, not dripping. all of the passages are clear. He held everything up to a light to make sure there was no clog. Could it possibly be a clogged fuel filter? like if the filter was clogged there wouldn't be enough pull to get a steady stream at idle?

Well I don't think it's a great idea to look down into a carb. with a running engine, What if it were to backfire? Anyway sure the filter could be the problem. you need to have a steady supply of fuel to the carb. and the carb. needs to have free passageways both for fuel and air.
Personally if I suspected a carb problem I would remove it and examine for problems, Dirt or foriegn mater in the bowl, blocked airways, blocked jets, propper float level, etc.
If the problem is only at idle then the filter is prob not the culprit.

Hey this is Corey, Nici's (Smurfette's) fiance

It didnt start having this problem till we were out in the woods today. I was drivin through a real rough sandy spot so i had to keep my foot in the pedal, hit a bump and it revved really high, like, scary high. This happened a couple times with about a 5 minute period. that was when i started seeing the hard running condition. Under throttle it cleans up alot, but theres alot of popping coming from the exhaust when i let off the gas and its still in gear that wasn't there before, and its runnin real rough at idle. Like she said theres just a random drip at idle and its mostly only doing it through one throat, nothing is coming out of the other jet at all. I pulled the venturi and jets out and cleaned them and made sure there was no clog and reinstalled everything and still there was no change

An alternative to removing the choke plate and all is to just remove the top of the carburetor. The advantage of this approach is you can make sure there isn't a lot of junk in the bowls, you can check your float adjustment, etc. It also may help if you have power brakes because the master cylinder may be in the way of getting the choke rod out.

After reading your insert... If you did follow there advise and tried the fix with no luck the above alternatate would make better sense to me, I would want to see whats in the bowl and if the float level is correct.
And there advise to see if the carb is secure to the manifold is good, for whatever reason mine used to come loose often.

there it is, look for a vacuum leak first.
have you tried adjusting the idle screws??
the back fire in the exhaust is saying vacuum leak to me. :cool:

An alternative to removing the choke plate and all is to just remove the top of the carburetor. The advantage of this approach is you can make sure there isn't a lot of junk in the bowls, you can check your float adjustment, etc. It also may help if you have power brakes because the master cylinder may be in the way of getting the choke rod out.

After reading your insert... If you did follow there advise and tried the fix with no luck the above alternatate would make better sense to me, I would want to see whats in the bowl and if the float level is correct.
And there advise to see if the carb is secure to the manifold is good, for whatever reason mine used to come loose often.

Well I got it figured out. The jets were still clogged. Nici's dad came over and we took another look at it and when he did it he took a little piece of wire and ran it through all of the jets and actually broke through a couple of the holes, like they were varnished up. When I did it I just blasted it with a bunch of carb cleaner and held it up to a light to make sure I could see through all of the holes. but the holes that were clogged were the ones that i couldnt look through. threw it back together and saw there were no more drips, adjusted the timing and shes runnin like new

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks