Kilo19

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
07 ford f-150 xl, auto, daily driver
98 chevy suburban, (family car)(SOLD)
2005 Ford Expedition
80 cj-5, body and frame
Hey I wanted to ask some of guys out there that have a 350 what trannies mount up w/o adapters.

I want a nv4500 but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Maybe a top 10 list?

Oh and I'm looking for stick shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the tranny that came on the back of the 350. One option is to get everything from engine to TCase. Just make sure the front output is on the right. This is the only option that requires no adapters. You will just need new driveshafts (that's almost unavoidable if when you swap trannies)
The NV4500 is a great heavy duty tranny that comes on Chevys (or is it Chevies). It's a 5 speed.
Another one of the best GM trannies is the SM420. It has the lowest granny low of them all at 7:1. Problem is it's a 4 speed.

Both of these can be adapted to a Dana 300.
The SM420 is very compact and found on older GM trucks.
The NV4500 is long and found on newer GM trucks.
Both very heavy duty. Plenty strong for a CJ even with a powerful V8.

Last edited:
Another one of the best GM trannies is the SM420. It has the lowest granny low of them all at 7:1. Problem is it's a 4 speed.

I think even a four speed would be ok cuz I'm not planning on driving over 55/60. I do want to drive it around town but like I said just cruise cuz I won't be in a hurry. Anything more I'll just tow.

I think even a four speed would be ok

My vote would go to the SM420. Classic heavy duty iron. I am very much old school. I am sure lots of others will chime in saying the the NV4500 is better because it's new technology and has an overdrive.
nv4500_transmission.jpg
NV4500
But I prefer the small all iron GM Muncie SM420.
sm420_transmission.jpg
SM420

In all honesty I wouldn't be able to support my position with facts. I'm just stubborn old school.:eek:

Well I do respect your opinion and knowledge.

I happen to have a 4 speed T-18-1B transmission with the Advance Adapters Chevy 350 conversion kit already installed on it for sale. I'd say it needs a rebuild, just so you are aware.
I have no use for it and I'll let it go pretty cheap. PM me for more info.

I ran a sm420 behind a LT1 350 in a CJ7 and loved it.On the street you don't need 1st gear unless you are running a good bit taller tires with stock gearing but offroad it would creep along.

I happen to have a 4 speed T-18-1B transmission with the Advance Adapters Chevy 350 conversion kit already installed on it for sale. I'd say it needs a rebuild, just so you are aware.
I have no use for it and I'll let it go pretty cheap. PM me for more info.

Still available?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks