319-6291C heads on 304?

319-6291C heads on 304?

Slinwin8773

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 304 v8, t150 transmission
Hello all,
1st post here. I recently bought a 1979 CJ5 with a 304v8. A couple of months ago I found another engine out of a '79 jeep that was dissassembled, the block bored .060" over, mains align bored, and the crank polished. It came with new aluminum pistons already mounted to rods, an edelbrock performer intake, holley 600cfm carb, and the heads had been reworked and packaged in plastic to prevent rust. All for $400 (widowed barn find). I bought it and started buying up neccessary parts to reassemble it; hydraulic cam and lifters, hardened pushrods, arp head bolts, gasket set, valve covers, headers, etc. Well I finally started assembly this past weekend. I got the bottom end put together on Saturday and put the heads on Sunday morning. At that time I noticed that the rocker arms mounted on studs instead of the bridged rockers that I had on my engine. When I looked up the casting numbers (319-6291C) I found that these were early '70 heads from a 360ci with 51cc combustion chambers and larger valves (2.02 and 1.68 I think). The gentleman I bought this motor from told me that all the components were assembled and running at one time but everything I read says the block needs to be notched to keep the valves from hitting the cylinders. I guess my question is could the block being bored .060" over give enough clearance to run these heads? Can I put the rocker arms on and turn the motor by hand to see if the valves hit? Should I try to sell these heads and get some different heads that fit? Any advice is appreciated.

A trick I saw on Powerblock TV last weekend was to put clay on top of the piston then bolt the head on and turn it over by hand then pull the head off and you can see how close the valve comes to the top of the piston.

From what I've read, I think the issue is the valves clearing the cylinder wall not the piston. Anyone know if this is correct?

this is true, the 304,360,401 heads do not interchange.:cool:

From what I've read, I think the issue is the valves clearing the cylinder wall not the piston. Anyone know if this is correct?

Yes, 2.02 valves will hit the cyl walls on a 304 and I don't believe .060 (.030 per sode) over is enough clearence. Even if you notch the cyl. wall the valve is still shrouded and you will not gain any thing.

Here is a good read on the heads you have - look at paragraph 4. -->> AMC V8 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks