258 cylinder head bolts or studs

258 cylinder head bolts or studs

blittle000

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
cj7
I'm replacing the head gasket on the 258 and plan to buy new cylinder head bolts. My valve cover is aluminum. Head studs were used on the driver side with nuts used on these studs also to help secure the valve cover. If I get the ARP head bolts and not use studs on drivers side, will I be able to properly seal the valve cover? There are 3 valve cover bolts on passenger side, and 2 valve cover bolts on drivers side. Thanks for the help!

I would suggest reading up on bolts vs. studs. Using studs for the locking hubs is an improvement also. Keeping a good seal on a valve cover requires both surfaces to be absolutely clean. A lot of guys go for the heavier cast aluminum valve covers than the molded plastic oem type. Felpro is a good quality gasket and use a sealant with it.

Thanks for the reply. If I choose to use bolts instead of studs on the drivers side, I no longer have the top part of the thread to use to further fasten the aluminum valve cover I have. The previous owner used studs. If I chose not to use studs, I'm left with the 2 valve cover bolts to secure the drivers side of the valve cover. For the purposes of sealing the valve cover (using a good felpro gasket with proper sealant), will just those 2 valve cover bolts on the driver side be sufficient. Or do I really need the head stud in place to secure the valve cover even more?

I would think clamping the thing down as much as you can would be the best way to go even if you don't like the way it looks. A common place for the CJ oem valve cover to leak is in the rear of the cover where it runs down to the bellhousing. I still run the plastic cover but after about 20 or so years since the last gasket replacement it may need to be changed.

I'm replacing the head gasket on the 258 and plan to buy new cylinder head bolts. My valve cover is aluminum. Head studs were used on the driver side with nuts used on these studs also to help secure the valve cover. If I get the ARP head bolts and not use studs on drivers side, will I be able to properly seal the valve cover? There are 3 valve cover bolts on passenger side, and 2 valve cover bolts on drivers side. Thanks for the help!

i too have this query - what did you do in the in end? thanks

I just used head bolts and didn't bother with studs. I used a cork valve cover gasket along with the Permatex aviation sealant and haven't had a noticeable problem with leaks. Fingers crossed, but so far so good.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks