2000 Wrangler

2000 Wrangler

JimsCJ5

Active Jeeper
Gold Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 Renegade 258, t-18 pretty much stock except for a later model aluminum intake manifold and Gronk 2150.
Hey Gang, I am looking for a Wrangler for my daughter to take back and forth to college. She really likes how our CJ5 turned out so I was thinking something a little newer and better for the 80 minute drive every other week and around town.
I'm looking at 1997 to 2006 Wranglers with either the 4 banger or the big six. I like the fuel economy being a little better with the 4 but wonder about reliability? Opinions?
I thought there was a thread on this on the forum but I could not find it.
Thanks,
Jim

Issues that I can think of right off hand is the exhaust manifold cracking on the six and the transfer case chain stretching. Go for the more durable hardtop also. I am sure there must be other issues, searching the forums might help. Get one that is bone stock so there won't be any P.O. issues.

LOL I know all about PO issues. Still fighting them on my son's CJ5.
I would like to get an honest opinion on the 4 vs 6. I thought a four would be OK for a bone stock Jeep but I worry a little about freeeway performance and reliability. I know the Six is like a claw hammer...

Six. That 4 is underpowered no matter how stock it is. Especially a worn out 4 cyl.
My friend had a 99 with a 4 cyl and it just didn't have the power when needed.

4 is fine unless you are going with bigger tires etc. if you are going to build it do a six. If stock, then 4 is fine.

Chains do not stretch. They can wear, especially if you run them low or out of oil. Otherwise they will last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 2001 XJ from new (54 miles) unitl 2012 when I finally got rid of it (113K miles :D), I had no issues with the axles, the transfer case or the auto trans. Oh yeah, forgot to mention it had about 4.5" of lift under it too.

I say this because it's the exact same running gear that the TJ used too. I would definitely go with the L6, it's a workhouse that with the proper maintenance done regularly will last you a long time. I liked the 2005/2006 6 speed manuals, they are very popular, and unfortunately that keeps the price of these two years up. My 2¢, I would look at '02-'04 TJ Sport package, L6 with a 5 speed, hardtop with full doors. The sport package isn't the stripped down X package that they had out at the time. An automatic is probably going to be easier to find, but if you shop around you'll find the right one :chug:

Thanks Elwood. We are graviting toward the 02-04 models mostly due to the fact the earlier years have too many miles. I looked at a 98 with 186k on the clock that looked good in the pics but underneath you could see where the body mounts were rotting away. He still wanted $8k!

Yeah, I don't know what the heck that's been about either. Jeeps never held value worth a :dung: and within the last 5-10 years the '02-'06 TJ's are really hanging on to their value, I have no idea why.

I had the 4 cyl in a 95 YJ. If she will have to travel on hills at all (not even considering mountains) she will be passed by the truckers. That thing is horrible on the highway. Get the 6.

Re: 2000 Wrangler update

Hey Gang, Just an update. I ended up buying a bone stock 2005 Wrangler with the six and a 6 speed. It looks like new even with 127K and drives great.
Thanks for all the great advice.

Re: 2000 Wrangler update

pics?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks