2 Bolt or 6 Bolt steering knuckle?

2 Bolt or 6 Bolt steering knuckle?

JeeperChris

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ5, 258 I6, T150 w/Dana20, Dana30 front and AMC20 rear. My first Jeep! I'm looking forward to doing some minor upgrades and restoration while enjoying the ride.
I'm buying some new front rotors for the '79 CJ5 and the site is asking if I have 2 Bolt steering knuckle or a 6 Bolt.

I think it's a 2, but what am I looking for? Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Ok, so I found out this is referring to the mounting of the caliper bracket to the steering knuckle. '78 seemed to be the change over year, earlier had a 6-bolt bracket and later had a 2-bolt bracket but there was some overlap due to them still having parts laying around, so I have to check my particular Jeep to be sure......... when ever I get it back from my mechanic.

I still can’t figure that out. The caliper bracket and the caliper are joined by two slider bolts. The caliper bracket mounts solidly to the steering knuckle with two bolts. That is all I know. Please post a pic if your setup is different. I don’t want to miss out on this.

I still can’t figure that out. The caliper bracket and the caliper are joined by two slider bolts. The caliper bracket mounts solidly to the steering knuckle with two bolts. That is all I know. Please post a pic if your setup is different. I don’t want to miss out on this.

So if you were to order new brake rotors you would get the "2-bolt" kind because yours bolt up to the knuckle with 2 bolts. I still have to wait till monday when my mechanic opens the shop again to find out what mine is.

Your 79 is a 2 bolt
79 FSJ is 6 bolts

I see. The six bolt then means that the mounting bracket is removable from the knuckle, not referring to the caliper bracket. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That is correct

Right on 👍

And as soon as TSM gets back to me about the rear disc kit I'll be purchasing that too.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks