1st Annual Jeep-CJ Rubicon Trail Ride - planning thread

1st Annual Jeep-CJ Rubicon Trail Ride - planning thread

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
Here it is! Rubicon Trail ride planning thread.

Very loose on plans as of now - need some input, and will be doing some recon of surrounding areas again etc. The trail itself is not a weeks worth of riding, though we could stretch it that far, it may get boring quickly, and last thing I want is someone from across the US bored on my watch! lol

Rubicon Trail Info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon_Trail

https://www.edcgov.us/government/rubicon/pages/information_to_the_rubicon_trail.aspx

So this weekend I'm trying a new trail I haven't been on that is fairly close called Barrett Lake Trail.

Barrett Lake Trail

From a youtube search:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

check out 1:39 - nice "boulder" garden :D And wow - look at the bridge approach @ 2:41...

I might love this trail! lol

Anyways, I'm thinking of some extra stuff to do in the area and will post some options to see who all likes what and who all is still seriously interested. I'd like to take 2-3 days on the Rubicon to let people see all the sights, hang at the lakes, check out Rubicon Springs, and take their time on the trail as it's bumpy and rough.

If Barrett Lake is good / fun (and if open) We can do a in, lunch, and back day there, or a camp at the lake day there possibly.

There are tons of other dirt road type trails around through the forests, and a few other lakes to check out to swim, fish, picnic, etc... Lots of options - I love doing it all - want to see what others are interested in.

So in the meantime - list out your desires below on following questions:

1 - How many days would you like the trip to be not including your travel days to CA?

2 - How many people want to do some fishing / lakeside camping for a night or two (possibly different lakes).

3 - Are we fine with buffer days for relax and rehab / small exploration trail rides?

4 - Is / Are 2 tough trails just too much harder wheeling for the week? Barrett is 5-1/2 miles with average speed of 2 MPH. 3 - 4 hours in, and another 3-4 out. Rubicon is 22 miles long, approx 3-5 MPH in most places - so 2 fairly long days of wheeling.

5 - The trail (Rubicon) is different in different directions, though it's the same trail. While I wouldn't say we should run the entire thing both ways, there is a loop between the 2 entrances - we can make a good day out of that, then head it again next day for new take on one of the directions we took out day before. This is more wheeling, and a good example of what to expect / rig testing before "too" far into the trail.

6 - Other comments / thoughts? Want to see Lake Tahoe a bit one day? Want to check out a cool old town in the area? A cool old bar located in the backwoods? Let me know what you'd like to see / do...

More to come!

:chug:

Last edited by a moderator:
1 - How many days would you like the trip to be not including your travel days to CA?
5 days would give enough time to see stuff and be able to relax/ see stuff maybe twice.

2 - How many people want to do some fishing / lakeside camping for a night or two (possibly different lakes).

Would love to go fishing

3 - Are we fine with buffer days for relax and rehab / small exploration trail rides?
Yes
4 - Is / Are 2 tough trails just too much harder wheeling for the week? Barrett is 5-1/2 miles with average speed of 2 MPH. 3 - 4 hours in, and another 3-4 out. Rubicon is 22 miles long, approx 3-5 MPH in most places - so 2 fairly long days of wheeling.

No 2 tough trails sounds great!!

5 - The trail (Rubicon) is different in different directions, though it's the same trail. While I wouldn't say we should run the entire thing both ways, there is a loop between the 2 entrances - we can make a good day out of that, then head it again next day for new take on one of the directions we took out day before. This is more wheeling, and a good example of what to expect / rig testing before "too" far into the trail.

Shake down sounds great so people know what they are getting into.

6 - Other comments / thoughts? Want to see Lake Tahoe a bit one day? Want to check out a cool old town in the area? A cool old bar located in the backwoods? Let me know what you'd like to see / do...

Exploring sounds great
Added to your questions.

I will be interested in this adventure no matter what form it takes...I've been watching Rubicon Youtubes and wondering how my CJ5 with 33s will fare...I might end up slowing us down to 1 mph!

We have 33's too - but we have lockers and low gearing. I think you do too, from what I've seen you won't slow us down at all. We'll use good spotting techniques and help everyone through.

Not wanting to rush anyone on this trip, so we'll go at comfortable paces for all.

There are also bypasses for most all the hardest parts if desired, or worried about body / paint damage etc. There are still some pretty challenging non-bypassable spots, but again we should be good taking time and good spotting / execution.

:D

Low gears and lockers here too. I'll be right behind you

I have run the Ruby more than once.
I run 33's with ft & re DL's.
A winch is very good to have.
FWIW-You are in bear country. ;)
LG

I have run the Ruby more than once.
I run 33's with ft & re DL's.
A winch is very good to have.
FWIW-You are in bear country. ;)
LG

Lumpy - do you have any interest in joining us?

Wish I could-My CHF issues won't allow it.
You want to go between the middle of Aug to no later than the 2nd week of Sept. This gives you the best weather with the least bugs.
Going during the middle of the week is good for less traffic.
LG

Wish I could-My CHF issues won't allow it.
You want to go between the middle of Aug to no later than the 2nd week of Sept. This gives you the best weather with the least bugs.
Going during the middle of the week is good for less traffic.
LG

Yes sir - I'm hip to the game being local - also around this time Barrett Lake is open too with exceptions, which is a serious consideration for additional things to do on this trip...

Well, we'll post some nice photos for you bud. Let me know if you find a way.

I will be making a trip report thread, and will link it here later, but for now, here's a teaser of the trip we took to Barrett lake, which "was" a possible option for more trail riding during the Rubicon Trail ride.

We'll discuss the "was" more later, and see who that is coming would be up for the challenge and gauge from there. It's not a easy trail at all - depending on interest, we may make that a "optional stay later" type of trail trip instead. The Rubicon is no joke either, but I believe it's a bit tougher so far... I loved it though, and would very much be willing to lead whoever across it.

Oakie lining up for few speed bumps...

attachment.php

A little rocky hill climb...

attachment.php

Some tiny rocks to drive over...

attachment.php

Cameron Flexing:

attachment.php

The reward:

attachment.php

Still waiting for some more opinions and interest before laying out some planned itineraries to see what the general consensus is from interested parties.

Attachments

• IMG_2777.jpg
    IMG_2777.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2822.jpg
    IMG_2822.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2889.jpg
    IMG_2889.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 155
We are planning on doing everything possible to make this trip! :banana:

Just my 2¢, this is a 2,000 mile each way trip for us hauling our Jeep behind us. We would like to do as much wheeling as possible to make the long trip worth it. We are certainly up for camping on the trails along the way.

We are planning on doing everything possible to make this trip! :banana:

Just my 2¢, this is a 2,000 mile each way trip for us hauling our Jeep behind us. We would like to do as much wheeling as possible to make the long trip worth it. We are certainly up for camping on the trails along the way.

Sounds good!

There are a lot of options around there for some trail riding - fire and access dirt trails into the mountains, and a few for some pretty significant rock crawling. I'd like to check out the hell hole reservoir trail too, as I've heard it's a fun challenge and good time with another opportunity for some lake camping.

To be clear, I'd be fine taking off two weeks to run all around up there with any who are willing, so if it's more time and wheeling we want, I'm game ;) I just know not everyone can take as much time off, and many specifically want the Rubicon trail off their list(s) to do, so want to start with that. I also don't want to rush that for those who really want to spend some time there.

Barrett lake was great - challenging for our rigs, but worth it in my opinion.

Hell hole Reservoir looks like a good added trip too: 4x4TrailMaps - Hell Hole Reservoir

So I think I'll have a long Rubicon run plan, and added extras for any who want to stay longer kind of deal and see who's in for what.

If you and OJL want to stay later though, even if just you two, I'll plan to wheel more with you around the areas too either way - we'll make sure it's not a waste for you trip wise for sure (or anyone else)!

Anyone else feel free to ask some questions, give some opinions, etc. I've been slammed at work, so I haven't posted much yet as I want to get a lot of details in my "plans" to give you all a good idea of what to expect, what we have to choose from, etc.

As I mentioned to you, our group will have a discussion about the Rubicon run while were in Moab.

I never did get a chance to talk with folks about the Rubicon at our Moab trail run. We had full days of wheeling each day.

Not less then 5.

I would like to camp and fish but I'm somewhat restricted on what/how much I can take on a plane so fishing may be out for me. While others are fishing I could hike and explore, if there's a non fishing group I could take them with me as well.

I find when you gather folks from around the country having a change in trail difficulty and scenic view is a good thing. We ran Steel Bender in Moab, and the trail was exciting with ledge after steep ledge, another day we ran a 2 wheel drive trail and it was just as exciting but in a scenic way. Next Moab trip I will continue to mix it up looking to schedule challenging trails followed by easier scenic trails.

You will get fewer folks attending from this forum if you have 2 tough trails IMO. This does not include the core group, they go to all the trail runs regardless. You may want to keep Barrett in your pocket and use it depending on the feel of the group after finishing the Rubicon trail.

I'm open to whatever you think is best. Would running this way make it any easier for the folks that would rather not camp?

I'll have to do some research to see what's available to see/visit, everything you mentioned above works for me and sound fun.

Good input Posi - I'll get a plan together and post it, then we can edit as a group from there to tailor specific people's plans too etc.

Looking forward to getting anyone interested to CA for this trip in 2020!

PROPOSED DETAILS (Finally right?)

The official Rubicon Trail ride tentative plans are:

Dates - subject to discussion and change still

Official Ride will start on Monday 9/7/2020. The basic plan is below. I will plan on being up in the Mountains Saturday 9/5/2020 to stake some claims on good spots as they open for tow rigs / base camp. Anyone who wants to get up there early and relax from the long drive, we'll make plans to meet up.

9/7 (Monday) - We'll get the rigs ready with a once over, and after everyone has finished breakfast / clean up we'll take a through the woods back trail if early enough still, then enter the Rubicon Trail through the Old original entrance. We'll play by ear and how the rigs and drivers are doing, eat lunch on the trail, and be back for a dinner at base camp exiting the way we came, or through the other "entrance" doing the loop. This will be anywhere from 6 to 8 hours of trail time depending on the group and if issues arise.

9/8 (Tuesday) - This will be a final needs day - if someone needs parts, fuel, food, last minutes etc - otherwise we'll drive through the mountains a bit and I'll show you all some of the lakes and cool spots we've grew up around in the area. It will give everyone a little more relax before Wednesday. We'll be packed and ready to hit the trail Wednesday Morning Early.

9/9 (Wednesday) - We'll leave camp early with Trail breakfast snack and lunch. The plan is to go approximately 7.6 Miles taking our time and checking stuff out as we go. We'll arrive (hopefully) early afternoon in Rubicon Springs. There is a small per rig fee to camp in Rubicon Springs, but it's worth it. This will be a only what you pack in the jeep camp. We'll coordinate meal options etc soon. With any luck we'll be relaxing around a fire pit and laughing about the day of wheeling we just did.

9/10 (Thursday) - I'm tentatively leaving this as a hang around Rubicon springs, head back in for wheeling fun on obstacles we may have skipped the previous day due to time, etc day. Plan is to see who wants to do what and split up if desired. I can also take a group out the rest of the trail that doesn't want to camp another night on the trail, then head back in myself to meet up with the rest of the group again &/or grab any emergency supplies. We'll finalize details there based on needs and desires of the group and again can split if needed.

9/11 (Friday) - Official exit through the Tahoe side of the trail. This "shouldn't" take long, so we'll be able to hopefully check out Lake Tahoe a bit, refuel and get on highway 50 back to main camp where we started.

From there - I'll be available for the remaining weekend to help gather parts needed. If everything is good, whoever came "just" for the Rubicon Trail will hopefully be satisfied and we'll make sure they're all good to go.

However, if anyone broke down on the trail and we need to get them off / fixed up, that will take priority.

If no one needs help with anything, the 2nd trail ride will begin. We'll Ready ourselves and jeeps, and head approximately 27 miles (about an hour) to the trailhead. This will be a (depending on the group and decision) 2 to 3 day extended treat. There will be difficult / technical wheeling into a nice small lake, where we'll camp the night, relax, explore on foot, fish, etc the next day, then leave the following day back out the way we came in. Again, we may constrict or extend this as desired.

If the majority of the group would rather do some lighter trails, exploring, etc - we can do that too, or split as needed possibly.

I will plan to take 2 weeks off from work, this way I can ensure all are received and sent away back home as needed.

If anyone wants a few day buffer before the trip - contact me personally to work out some details on options.

Rig Requirements

This is not a "or you can't go" list - this is recommended. If you're worried or have questions from this list please contact me before you say "Oh can't go because I don't have ___" - we'll talk it out.

1 - Experience off road with tip points / center of gravity, OR ability and willingness to follow the instructions of the spotters.

2 - Off road tires with good tread capable of being aired down to acceptable values to minimize wheel spin and wear & tear / breakage from "bouncing". Size - I won't limit to 33" or larger, but will say smaller than 33's will get a lot of rubbing on undersides, and will be a bit difficult on driver. It can be done however.

3 - Low gearing is a huge asset for safer / easier going experience - I'm not super low @ 60:1 - that seems to be a very good ratio with a bit of leeway both directions. Stock we were at around 26:1 which was way too high and caused us a lot of breakage. It will depend on your driving.

4 - Front and rear lockers are a huge asset.

5 - Winch and extraction / safety equipment are huge assets. We'll have a few already, not necessary to go buy one just for this trip.

6 - Additional fuel storage. Jerry cans, or approved legal fuel storage - Again situational, but you're going to need more fuel, or someone else might in a emergency etc. Huge plus if you have the ability. Must be safely secured down and sealed (Yeah Jr ;) - Colorado Crew inside joke... )

- The main point is don't bring a barely running rig that hasn't been maintained correctly. If you breakdown, we'll all be broke down... Stuff happens, but when it can be avoided with a years notice, it shouldn't be due to lack of honest attempt to prepare your rig.

- On the flip side, bring your "4 wheeler attitude" - if someone breaks down, the plans for the week may change slightly. We'll recognize people are flying potentially from the other side of the USA for this, so as needed we'll split, but my main priority will be to ensure everyone who enters the trail with me exits the trail safely, and my integrity commands I help others in need on the trail even if they're not in our group if absolutely necessary. This may mean I'll turn over the trail ride to my Uncle or Brother to continue with the main group and meet back later, etc. Or we may have a longer than planned trail day due to stopping to help someone fix something to get off the trail etc. - possibly not even members of our group. The way I see it, you'd hope someone would save your bacon in the backwoods broke down with your family in the jeep, and we're those people (my crew).

Things you'll want to bring

1 - Basic tools and specialty stuff that others might not have too (wheel lock keys, special socket for your upgraded "whatever") etc. I'll be PM'ing more details to the group privately on the rest.

2 - Common spare parts for your rig (if you have them, if you have the room driving). Or check in advance for the availability of the following with Summit Racing in Sparks NV:
- Axle shafts
- Bearings
- Shocks
- Ring and Pinion sets
- Steering parts

Hopefully just a precaution, but good to know what's available when we don't have cell service on the trail and are planning to rig something or go get parts...

3 - Fluids - Common Oil, brake, trans for autos, gear oil. Again, don't need everyone to bring their whole garage. But if you have a small to go kit with brake fluid and gallon of this or that - it can stay at main camp.

4 - Trail camping gear. It gets chilly in the evenings. Good sleeping bag, tent, and warm clothes. Trail cooking gear if you have it (again we'll coordinate further later) and emergency medical supplies.

I think this is a good start. Open to feedback and suggestions on the plans, dates, etc. If there are people who don't want to camp as much on the trail, PM me - we'll talk and make a plan for you. Don't feel like you can't go or will hinder others - we'll make it work.

I plan on having 3 -5 rigs with me with experience on the trail already in addition to anyone else here that decides to go (Coldair I'm already counting you as you'll probably be down earlier to run it with us before this too) We'll have plenty of room for rigs and people. As of now, there is not a rig count limit (subject to change).

Post feedback - Once we're confirmed, I'll start tracking who's committed etc.

Once I have your name as in, I'll start individually discussing with you the meeting points, and advise based on your particular travel plans.

As of Now - correct me if I'm wrong:

1: Jr
2: Cameron (Jr's Brother)
3: Oakie (Jr's Uncle)
4: Shelby (Jr's buddy in a explorer)
5: Coldair
6: Posi

Post below and I'll sign you up if you're pretty confident on attending. Go ahead and let me know if maybe as well with some details and I'll list in the "maybe" column...

Last edited:
It should also be noted, I proposed the dates as there will be a good change that the weather will still be good, and the 2nd trail will be open.

We'll have back up plans for the 2nd trail not open.

Sorry - another last disclaimer:

While it will be our goal to spot people through everything safely and without incident, it's a good idea to plan on the following:

The Rubicon Trail will probably leave a mark on your rig. You'll have a cool story to go with it most likely. If you're going to be very upset with a scratch or dent on your rig, this trail is not for you. I know there are members with really nice paint jobs and will tailor the spotting advise to minimize where ever possible. If we all make it through without a single scratch, I'll be surprised and will buy the first round.

I care about my jeep, but I build it to wheel. I get dents and scratches often. I'm also slightly careless about scratches and dents as I started with a few dents in the body, and have a spray pain paint-job - I get it - not everyone is like that. Those that have wheeled with me know I shake it off, laugh and move on. This is what I ask of all participants.

Now, if you roll the jeep, you can be pissed for 30 minutes. Then we'll flip it over beat it out and keep going :laugh: - joke... no rolling please! ;)

Looking forward to this!
Can you add Bluerocket (Bobby) to the list.
Thanks for all you do.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks