1994 Cherokee starting problems from time to time

Symptoms? Clicking, engine not turning over, engine turns over but won't start, other? Original 2.5L engine? Any mods?

not enough info to help, I mean with what you're giving, I could suggest putting gas in the tank, remember, we're not there, we need everything from key in the ignition to what it does or doesn't do, and throwing parts at it sometimes complicates the situation as you could create a new problem along the way, as Jeeps do not like NON-OEM sensors, and since your buying whatever without any real diagnostics, I have to assume your buying auto parts store Chinese junk prone to fail right out of the box.

Starts most of the time. But then just will not other times.
New crank censer, pickup coil, coil starts most of the time then just stops
Engine turning over when cranking? You got proper fuel pressure? Not sure what "coil starts most of the time" means.

Assuming then that the engine is turning over OK. Elec fuel pump, so fuel pressure check is essential. Go back to the big three's. It takes three things for your engine to run: fuel, air, spark. If the fuel pressure is good at the fuel rails, then ensure air by confirming IAC is working properly. On a carb engine, this would be the choke stuck or not. For fuel injection, the IAC (idle air control) can usually be a visual check as it is a solenoid that opens and closes based on ECM signal. Next comes spark. Pull a spark plug wire and use a tester, or just insert the end of a screwdriver into the boot and hold it close to a ground connection while someone cranks the engine over. Check for spark between the screwdriver and a ground connection you are close to. You can also pull a spark plug, put the boot back on it and clip a lead to the small ground terminal and then connect that to a ground source. While cranking the engine watch for spark on the plug. If you have all three (fuel, air, spark) and still no start, then you're looking at timing (is spark going to all cylinders at the right time?), injectors (one or more plugged up or not opening even though the fuel rails have pressure?), or a more serious mechanical issue (something broke inside the engine).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks