Build Thread 1980 CJ7 R2.8 Build

Build Thread 1980 CJ7 R2.8 Build

ATEAM

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7
Hello everyone, wanted to introduce myself and my family’s new project. We recently purchased our 5th Jeep, this will be our second CJ7 with the intention of rebuilding it into a R2.8 Cummins diesel. I have been following that product since conception and have been waiting around till finding the right project and I have finally done just that.
Little back info, this is my first thread I have ever wrote on any forum, so if I make mistakes please forgive and provide patient feedback. I have gained enough knowledge from you guys in the past that I figured I should contribute back at some point. There have been little in the way of these R2.8 projects done so I am going to give it my best shot.
About the jeep: 1980 CJ7 mostly original. AMC20 rear (drum), Dana 30 Front (disc), Dana 300 transfer case. Current transmission is a T176. Suspension looks to be original along with all the bushings, steering column and brakes.
Regarding the transmission I will probably end up swapping that out for an AX15. Although not included in the original sale I will probably be putting a hardtop and solid doors on as well. I will also be keeping the paint original color, upgrading the Dana 30, AMC20 and the Dana 300 with better internals, but intend on keeping as much of the jeep as original in the same goal in mind, trail ready jeep that doesn’t look like a crawler and could be drove around town for groceries.
I will be posting photos and write-ups throughout the process for each step, I would like to hear feedback on parts and processes.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Photo Nov 23, 11 53 43 AM.jpg
    Photo Nov 23, 11 53 43 AM.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Photo Nov 23, 11 53 54 AM.jpg
    Photo Nov 23, 11 53 54 AM.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Photo Nov 24, 10 10 46 AM.jpg
    Photo Nov 24, 10 10 46 AM.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 71
Just received the new motor!!! Looking to pull the tub off of the frame in the next couple days to strip and get ready for paint.

Attachments

• CD5DAF6F-C7B7-4ED3-9A43-ABEBF92AEFC2.jpg
    CD5DAF6F-C7B7-4ED3-9A43-ABEBF92AEFC2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 80
Nice. Looking forward to seeing this build.

The R2.8 sounds like an awesome engine. A bit out of my price range it will be cool to see how you like it and how it fits.

sweet looking forward to this build as well

12/28/18 Update:
We have removed just about everything keeping us from removing the body tub itself. Fenders, steering column and brake lines. Ran into a few rust spots, and had to cut a few body mount bolts. Figured we would have some of that though.

Received the bushing kit about a week ago. I went with the Energy Suspension Master Kit. Part Number: 2.18102R if anyone is interested.

Also ordered the lift kit today. I went with the CJ 7 OME kit from Rock-Road.com. I had contacted them a couple weeks ago via email and got a great response to all my questions, they were very friendly and informative.

You can find the kit here: https://www.rocky-road.com/cj-ome.html if you are interested.

I will update with how the install went as we get it into the garage after the tub comes off.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

Attachments

• Photo Dec 17, 1 42 02 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 17, 1 42 02 PM.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Photo Dec 24, 3 22 25 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 24, 3 22 25 PM.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo Dec 25, 2 16 44 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 25, 2 16 44 PM.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Photo Dec 25, 2 48 35 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 25, 2 48 35 PM.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 98
I'm excited to see your progress. I work for Cummins Inc. and have seen a couple of FJ40's in the area that have the R2.8 as well as a YJ in Central Oregon. Good luck!

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. Was able to get the body off, and start stripping the frame.

Attachments

• Photo Feb 23, 1 01 50 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 23, 1 01 50 PM.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo Feb 23, 11 07 47 AM.jpg
    Photo Feb 23, 11 07 47 AM.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo Feb 23, 3 13 08 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 23, 3 13 08 PM.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 63
  • Photo Feb 24, 6 00 24 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 24, 6 00 24 PM.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 58
Is that your back up waiting in the wings in the first pic? :)

3.6.19 Update

Made some changes to the buildout. I ended up modifying it to the following:
· CJ7 Dana 44’s Front and back from- Eastcoastgearsupply.com
o They sell complete axles assemblies made for the CJ
o Talked with Jon who was extremely helpful and provided a buildout for the front and back that was bolt in ready.
· Atlas II Transfer Case
o After making the decision on the Transmission (NV 3550) and the front and rear axle assemblies I opted to go ahead and bite the bullet for the Atlas II. The Dana 300 I had was the less desirable one and after spending time researching the correct upgrades it just seemed like this was the right option.
o Talked with Scott from Advance Adapters who also was extremely helpful and walked me through all the different options that needed to be checked. Once it was complete he sent over an invoice that had everything detailed out and started the order. https://www.advanceadapters.com/
· Aqualu Industries CJ Body
o This one took me a bit to decide on. Once decided thought I reached out to them and it was a great experience. http://www.hardbody4x4.com/1976-1986-cj7.html
o I went with a new dash, CJ7 body and a Storage Tailgate.
See below for the current status of the frame. I am hoping to start building everything back soon.

Attachments

• Photo Mar 01, 3 36 03 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 01, 3 36 03 PM.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Photo Mar 01, 3 50 13 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 01, 3 50 13 PM.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo Mar 05, 6 11 31 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 05, 6 11 31 PM.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo Mar 05, 6 14 40 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 05, 6 14 40 PM.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo Mar 05, 7 24 43 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 05, 7 24 43 PM.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 57
Just received the Frame paint from Eastwood!!!

Attachments

• A15BC200-3B29-49A7-8F70-3C17B445624E.jpg
    A15BC200-3B29-49A7-8F70-3C17B445624E.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 57
3.6.19 Update

Made some changes to the buildout. I ended up modifying it to the following:
· CJ7 Dana 44’s Front and back from- Eastcoastgearsupply.com
o They sell complete axles assemblies made for the CJ
o Talked with Jon who was extremely helpful and provided a buildout for the front and back that was bolt in ready.
· Atlas II Transfer Case
o After making the decision on the Transmission (NV 3550) and the front and rear axle assemblies I opted to go ahead and bite the bullet for the Atlas II. The Dana 300 I had was the less desirable one and after spending time researching the correct upgrades it just seemed like this was the right option.
o Talked with Scott from Advance Adapters who also was extremely helpful and walked me through all the different options that needed to be checked. Once it was complete he sent over an invoice that had everything detailed out and started the order. https://www.advanceadapters.com/
· Aqualu Industries CJ Body
o This one took me a bit to decide on. Once decided thought I reached out to them and it was a great experience. http://www.hardbody4x4.com/1976-1986-cj7.html
o I went with a new dash, CJ7 body and a Storage Tailgate.
See below for the current status of the frame. I am hoping to start building everything back soon.

Man must have deep pockets for a Dana 44 from those guys.

I did have it media blasted. And yes deep pockets, after the 6th CJ my wife said “build a reliable Jeep or never expect me to get in another one again”. With two young kids it’s time to get away fro scrapping things together and build something I can feel confident in saying at least I put it together.

I know.... I didn’t go out and mine the minerals and forge the metal, but at least I didn’t just go buy a JK and a lift with tires.......

Looks like a great build, I am in the same boat as you as going down to frame and starting back up

Your build is very similar to '81 CJ7, even down to the new axles from ECGS. I decided to go with a new AX15 from Novak and have them rebuild the stock D300. I just joined on here so I haven't started a thread for my build yet, but I will very soon.

Do you have any updates?

Your build is very similar to '81 CJ7, even down to the new axles from ECGS. I decided to go with a new AX15 from Novak and have them rebuild the stock D300. I just joined on here so I haven't started a thread for my build yet, but I will very soon.

Do you have any updates?

I would love to see a thread on yours if you wannna share

Sent from my source of bill money using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks