Build Thread 1979 CJ7 in remarkable condition!

Those look really nice I really like the extra trim ring on the inside of the buttons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had some issues with wiring. Mainly dash and tail/parking lights.

I thoroughly went through every circuit and checked every ground.

For some reason when I had the wiring harness out of the Jeep I missed this on the fuse box...

IMG_2371.jpg
IMG_2378.jpg
IMG_2380.jpg
IMG_2382.jpg

I've ordered up new terminals for the fuse panel and speciality tool to crimp those terminal ends.

I'm going to redo the entire panel. I'll post up photos as I go because I haven't seen any detailed photos of this process.

For those into original stuff...

Here are the original documents from my Jeep. Included is the temporary registration from the original owner when it was purchased.

Good stuff!

IMG_2357.jpg
IMG_2358.jpg
IMG_2359.jpg
IMG_2360.jpg
IMG_2361.jpg

Nice catch!!

.....I've ordered up new terminals for the fuse panel and speciality tool to crimp those terminal ends.

Where did you order these from? That would be good info, especially since I'm electronics illiterate........

Nice catch!!

Where did you order these from? That would be good info, especially since I'm electronics illiterate........

I ordered them from delcity.net

They only have one and four spade terminals but the fours can be snipped into twos very easily.

IMG_2396.png
IMG_2397.png

THANKY!!!!

Sent from my gas grille using Tapatalk

Imgbb is a place I found to host some photos.

It's not as friendly as Photobucket. That sure is a bummer that they broke all the old links if you didn't pay.

You in Florida?

I am in Florida. St Augustine actually. It's about 30 minutes south of Jacksonville and about an hour north of Daytona beach.

Wow dude we have family riding it out in okeechobee fl. I will be praying for you all, hunker down and be safe.

Last edited:
I've been working out some bugs in the electrical system.

I haven't had any tailights, dash lights, parking lights or wipers. After verifying good grounds all over the Jeep, I started digging deeper.

You'll see in the pictures below that I had terminals broken inside the fuse box. Even though I went through the harness, I honestly didn't think toncheck terminals closely.

You'll see several were snapped not allowing the fuse constant contact on both sides of the circuit.

These terminals are literally pennies to buy but it is time consuming, and if you don't own the correct crimping tool then you factor that into the repair too.

IMG_2380.jpg
IMG_2382.jpg
IMG_2466.jpg
IMG_2468.jpg
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2470.jpg
IMG_2473.jpg

Very nice - it's posts like this that make the rest of us that much smarter. I hope I never have to put this one in play but it's great information to have.

Very nice - it's posts like this that make the rest of us that much smarter. I hope I never have to put this one in play but it's great information to have.

It wasn't all that difficult even with the harness already in the Jeep. If you remove the headlight switch, you can lower the entire fuse box down as pictured.

It took me about 2 hours working slowly and carefully to redo the entire thing.

And to add, it's cheap too. The terminals are 13 cents a piece for the single ones and 23 cents for the group terminals. The correct crimper will get you a bit. I got one off of amazon for $50.

I'm still chasing a few electrical issues but the overwhelming majority were fixed with the fuse panel rebuild.

My gas gauge is bad so I'm searching for an NOS gauge but I've also spoke with Instrument Services in Illinois. They do fantastic rebuild work of factory gauges and clusters for all models of restorations. Plus they only charge $69 for small gauges such as the temp and fuel gauge.

Anyway, flares are on, all dash lights and interior lights work, headlights, tail lights, reverse lights, and wipers all work. Even the washer pump and blower motor work.

I'm about to order seats but the seatbelts are on hold while I'll find an original rear set for 76-79 models.

For now though...

IMG_2459.jpg
IMG_2460.jpg
IMG_2463.jpg

Since photobucket has broken all the links for the beginning of my build, I'm going repost the pictures a bit at a time.

Here are the shots of the steering column build. This was a complete dismantle and thorough clean and repainted of all parts.

I used Eastwoods Plastic dye and their chassis paint on all steel parts.

IMG_1331.jpg
IMG_1332.jpg
IMG_1333.jpg
IMG_1334.jpg
IMG_1356.jpg
IMG_1357.jpg
IMG_1359.jpg
IMG_1360.jpg
IMG_1361.jpg
IMG_1362.jpg
IMG_1364.jpg
IMG_1365.jpg
IMG_1366.jpg
IMG_1367.jpg
IMG_1368.jpg
IMG_1369.jpg

Another repost of a previous post.

I used simple green cleaner to clean the entire harness both underdash, under hood, and the rear tail light section.

I mixed a 50/50 simple green and water. I soaked the entire thing on the bucket using a soft bristled brush to clean away 40 years of dirt, dust, and grime.

IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg
IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1018.jpg
IMG_1017.jpg
IMG_1149.jpg
IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1147.jpg

A little more electrical troubleshooting led me to corroded ground wires. The wires were corroded causing a high resistance.

Since I put a new ground wire in for the headlight, I figured I'd replace the terminal ends for all the headlight wires and then reinstall them into the plug.

I'm going to put new ends on the front parking light/turn signals too

IMG_2514.jpg
IMG_2515.jpg
IMG_2516.jpg
IMG_2517.jpg
IMG_2522.jpg

Final things! I sanded down the seat brackets and sprayed them with some Eastwood’s black.

The Jeep is back at Toy Box Jeeps have a few paint issues taken care of while I wait on Corbeau to send me a full set of tan Moab seats.

C027_AD79_5_CCB_4_BD5_85_E7_F7395978207_B.jpg
A614_AD45_C40_E_4249_B5_D7_CC3_FF548_BCED.jpg

Final things! I sanded down the seat brackets and sprayed them with some Eastwood’s black.

The Jeep is back at Toy Box Jeeps have a few paint issues taken care of while I wait on Corbeau to send me a full set of tan Moab seats.

C027_AD79_5_CCB_4_BD5_85_E7_F7395978207_B.jpg

A614_AD45_C40_E_4249_B5_D7_CC3_FF548_BCED.jpg

The brackets look VERY nice!!

I am VERY anxious to see how much higher the Moab's are compared to what you had. Corbeau told me the seat adds a couple inches. I haven't set the height of the seat brackets yet - PERFECT timing. That is, of course, if you're willing to share a couple dimensions LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks