1976 Jeep V8 fuel filter clocking

1976 Jeep V8 fuel filter clocking

Fastatv

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ-7, 360 V-8, Turbo 400 trans, Quadratrac, Dana 30 up front, AMC 20 in rear with LOKKA locker, Otherwise stock...and rusty, but FUN!
I researched this a bit on line with out much results. The way I worded it I guess :D. Some of you experts will know this :notworthy: Why does the fuel filter return line ( to the fuel tank I guess ) have to be at the 12 o'clock position ......and does it? Is it to keep the fuel from draining back to the fuel tank and emptying the carb bowl? :chug:

Good question. I imagine its to keep the filter from emptying the fuel line back into the tank. If the line is on top the most it could do is create an air bubble at the top of the filter.

I cheat the system. My filter is down by the pump and its not horizontal. I got one that is designed to work in the vertical position. Works great and I've never had any trouble with it.

To keep fuel from drain'n out of the filter and line.
Also gives you the reduced line PSI to the carb.
LG

Last edited:
The main purpose is to prevent vapor lock. The return line is a means by which the fuel is kept in constant motion, thereby eliminating vapor lock.

Oh, and putting the vapor return line on the bottom will trap vapor. There is a vapor separator at the bottom of the canister.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reponses fellows. My old jeep has been hard to start for a while....maybe six months...or longer. I raised the hood on it a couple days ago and noticed the fuel return was at approx 3 o'clock. I had did some zip tying to try to clean up the wiring and fuel lines and I had turned the filter return to approx 3 o'clock while doing so. Anyway, I placed it back to 12 o'clock and I actually think it may be starting better now.....and hopefully its not just my imagination. :eek: :chug:

Started the beast today...about 28 degrees, left it outside last night. turned over four or five times...started up and ran, never died. I really think there is something to the filter clocking.,..Those of you having a problem with starting after sitting a day or two...take a look. Just trying to help others here....:chug:

Started the beast today...about 28 degrees, left it outside last night. turned over four or five times...started up and ran, never died. I really think there is something to the filter clocking.,..Those of you having a problem with starting after sitting a day or two...take a look. Just trying to help others here....:chug:

Nice

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks