1976 CJ7 Back Up Lights...Here's a Good One!

1976 CJ7 Back Up Lights...Here's a Good One!

Fastatv

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ-7, 360 V-8, Turbo 400 trans, Quadratrac, Dana 30 up front, AMC 20 in rear with LOKKA locker, Otherwise stock...and rusty, but FUN!
I would appreciate some of you really experienced jeeps guys having a quik read. On my CJ7, I havent had working back up lights in a year, maybe a year and a half. They used to work....:eek::eek:. Yesterday evening, maybe 20...25 degrees outside, start the old girl up ( pulling it inside because of snow/softtop ), turn my head to look behind me ( it was dark outside ), I have back up lights....moved the jeep around, tried them a good 10 times...worked everytime...:cool:. I have the Turbo 400 Auto tranny. My question is this....are they working because of the cold? Is that possible?? They haven't worked all Summer, Fall.....:confused: Could be coincidance.....I don't know....:chug:

The switch on the tranny is the issue. They become intermittent with age.
I have to put a new switch in every few years.
Ck the connection/plug on the switch too.....
LG

The switch on the tranny is the issue. They become intermittent with age.

I have to put a new switch in every few years.

Ck the connection/plug on the switch too.....

LG

I have had to clean the connection occasionally. Quick and easy.

Interesting. Mine are the opposite. They didn't work and I couldn't get them to work for years so I gave up. Just this summer I was shocked to see them working when the technician backed it off the lift after getting new tires. Been wondering how long that had been going on.

I would think that the reverse light switch on the tranny could be checked with an multimeter. Ground connections can be broken with a little corrosion, like in the tailight. Check for frayed wiring and see if the line to the switch is hot, not sure if that line is hot all the time though.

What has happen'd to mine is the switch gets fill'd with t'oil and losses contact. It's a GND interrupted type switch on my T5.
LG

Thanks guys, for your inputs. The problem could be what many of you described. Today, when I backed it out of my warm basement, They were still working ( I had to go play in the snow...:D:D ). I will clean all connectors, as soon as I find out where the mechanism is...:eek:. From what I googled, I believe its on the streering column, associated with my column shifter. Thank you all...:chug::chug:

Electrical connections are funny. On my work trucks when the trailer plugs go bad (corrosion) When it's wet outside the control box will flash codes when you start the truck. When dry everything works correctly. A little water can temporarily connect a circuit or temporarily short the circuit.

I would also be check'n your GND connection(s) to be sure they are clean with 100% contact.
LG

When reverse lights work intermittent on automatic transmissions the contacts could be dirty, or the neutral/reverse light switch which is mounted under the steering column could be out of adjustment.

To adjust the backup switch apply the e-brake and put the trans in R,
Loosen the 2 screws but do not remove ( their not long screws)
Turn the ignition switch on
Turn the switch either way until the reverse lights go on.
Lock down the screws
Now check to make sure the engine starts in P or N

If you don't have a helper you can use a test light
Put a test light to the lamp side of the switch
Ground the other end of the test light.
The light should go on when the reverse lights go on.

Thank you Posi, I will try this today, and check grounds and such. I don't so much need them very often ( tho I somewhat did the other evening ), I just want them working correctly........just cause :D:D:D:D :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks