1976 CJ5 Steering Column

1976 CJ5 Steering Column

Dads jeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76cj5, smblk 350, t400, D30, D44
Hey all,

I'm looking at putting a new tilt column in my Cj and am looking for a bit of help as to which one I should be looking for. I'm not much into the junkyard searching and retrofitting, I'm just looking for the simplest, bolt in application that I can find.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I know a lot of people have used the Cherokee column. It is a bolt in but you want a older one without the airbag.

I know a lot of people have used the Cherokee column. It is a bolt in but you want a older one without the airbag.

Curious as to what year this would be for the airbag starting? The little woman has a 96 and it has one

Curious as to what year this would be for the airbag starting? The little woman has a 96 and it has one
I think they started around 93 I had a 94 and it had one. My 91 didn't.

I know there's a direct bolt in from a GM application, I think it was a Camaro or S10 chassis SUV/pickup, late 70's, early 80's. Sorry I can't remember the exact model.

It's not just the airbag, but other things like high beam on the turn signal lever instead of the floor, cruise control etc.

A lot of the internal parts are the same (like the upper shaft bearings that cost $50 new) for a lot of the GM vehicles, the differences are the convenience features. I was able to get the bearings from the local yard just by walking around and finding a column someone took the wheel from but left everything else.

Some PO put a tilt wheel in my 76 CJ5, I managed to find a part number sticker that crossed it to a 1977 Buick something. But it was column shift and they hacksawed the linkage off.

It's not just the airbag, but other things like high beam on the turn signal lever instead of the floor, cruise control etc..

This is a good thing you can wire your high beams to the column and eliminate the switch on the floor that can be a lot of problems.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks