1975 CJ5 fuel sender/tank meter

1975 CJ5 fuel sender/tank meter

dnl75cj

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
Hi,
I bought a tank sender 5 years ago from Morris. It was part #5357373k. It was only in service a very short time before it stopped working. Finally took it out yesterday to diagnose and found that the rheostat was burned in half.

Bench tested the guage and it seems to be working.

Was this just a fluke or did I purchase a POS part?
I think it was originally sourced by Morris from MTS Company.

Anybody have good luck with this sender?

Can you recommend one that is of high quality that won't require fabrication?

Thank,
Dan

Did you check the voltage of the supply lead and take a reading on the GND lead to the frame?
LG

No. The Jeep is in pieces right down to the chassis. The tub is out for painting. What kind of readings should I see when I am able to test?

Hi,
I bought a tank sender 5 years ago from Morris. It was part #5357373k. It was only in service a very short time before it stopped working. Finally took it out yesterday to diagnose and found that the rheostat was burned in half.

Bench tested the guage and it seems to be working.

Was this just a fluke or did I purchase a POS part?
I think it was originally sourced by Morris from MTS Company.

Anybody have good luck with this sender?

Can you recommend one that is of high quality that won't require fabrication?

Thank,
Dan

Five years I also bought a fuel sending unit, but I went directly to MTS.

It was part number: CJSU-1

I re-terminated the ground wire with solder, some purportedly conductive RTV-ish goo I picked up in a marine supply shop and heat shrink. I also used a thicker wire, but I don't remember the gauge.

So far, so good. The CJ lives outdoors 24/7. I don't have a garage. I know that MTS is a banned user, but I feel comfortable recommending the product.

I googled 5357373k and the search engine came back with Morris' MTS part number, but also a Crown Automotive hit.

I love Morris as a vendor, but Morris is run by humans and people make mistakes. Maybe they source from MTS today, but 5 years ago, they might have sourced from Crown.

Get in touch with MTS (MTS COMPANY, L.C. - Sending Units) and ask if they supplied sending units to Morris when you made your purchase.

-Jon

Last edited:
Good read

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks