1975 CJ5 aftermarket transmission mount

1975 CJ5 aftermarket transmission mount

dmartin05

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'75 CJ5, AMC 232 eng., D30/44, T14A.
Doing a frame-off restore of a 1975 CJ5. Aftermarket transmission mount is 3/4 inch higher (h=1 7/8") than the original mount (h=1 3/8"). Aftermarket cross-member mount is the same as the original one, making it 3/4 " lower w/new mount. Higher rear mount makes for increased angle of transfer case to axle/differential angle and forced twist to mount assembly (if I were to tighten it down). This can't be good. Anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions? Any sources for a mount of the right height (besides Crown, Omix or Rugged Ridge, which all seem to be the same height)?

Would you consider lowering the base where the tranny mount attaches to the crossmember? This is some fancy fabrication work, but it might be the answer to your issue if you can't get an oem height tranny mount.

Thought about that but there is still the matter of the height difference between the crossmember and txmount. I can make a taller crossmember mount but there is still the problem of increased driveshaft angle. Maybe that won't be a problem?

Doing a frame-off restore of a 1975 CJ5. Aftermarket transmission mount is 3/4 inch higher (h=1 7/8") than the original mount (h=1 3/8"). Aftermarket cross-member mount is the same as the original one, making it 3/4 " lower w/new mount. Higher rear mount makes for increased angle of transfer case to axle/differential angle and forced twist to mount assembly (if I were to tighten it down). This can't be good. Anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions? Any sources for a mount of the right height (besides Crown, Omix or Rugged Ridge, which all seem to be the same height)?
What is the difference between a "transmission mount" and a "cross-member mount?"

Transmission mount is the rectangular rubberized bracket mounted on the crossmember directly below the tranny. The crossmember mount (actually crossmember insulator) is installed to the side of the tranny mount and dampens engine torque. Together, they should be the same height and work together to form the "third leg" of the engine/transmission/transfer case mounting system.

Crossmember mount is called an insulator.
You have the trans mount, reinforcing plate, and a bolt that runs through insulator and crossmember.
I wouldn't touch the crossmember, you could lower the trans mount on the metal side by cutting, lowering then rewelding.
You could bend the reinforcing plate then strap it.
I've seen them come in at 1 3/4" from crown.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks