Wiring 1974 CJ5 Wiring Harness

Wiring 1974 CJ5 Wiring Harness
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5-Brown
1974 CJ5-Blue
I inherited a 1974 CJ5 that someone had started to rewire, but then it sat with little done to it for 8 years. Some of the original wiring is still present, but most is gone, so I'm having a hard time tracing the wiring. The person was using a Painless 22 Circuit Classic Customizable 1974 & Earlier Jeep CJ Harness. At least, I believe that's what it is. This is NOT a plug and play wiring harness. Does anyone know of a plug and play solution?

Solution
:welcome:
As a fellow 72~75 CJ owner, I know unfortunately there is no replacement plug and play harness. To help you finish your wiring we do have a FSM and other guides (designated for different years but almost the same.) You might find an old used harness on Ebay but it would still be 40+ years old.
Do you have a Power Probe to help?
:welcome:
As a fellow 72~75 CJ owner, I know unfortunately there is no replacement plug and play harness. To help you finish your wiring we do have a FSM and other guides (designated for different years but almost the same.) You might find an old used harness on Ebay but it would still be 40+ years old.
Do you have a Power Probe to help?

Solution
Painless has their kit part # 10105 they say is for CJs 1974 and older where the wiring goes through a rubber grommet in the firewall rather than the standard bulkhead connector in later models. Quite pricey, but readily available. To CJ's point, with a cheap multimeter and the diagrams he linked, you should be able to handle it.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Painless has their kit part # 10105 they say is for CJs 1974 and older where the wiring goes through a rubber grommet in the firewall rather than the standard bulkhead connector in later models. Quite pricey, but readily available. To CJ's point, with a cheap multimeter and the diagrams he linked, you should be able to handle it.
Agree, it's a good kit but still not a direct plugin. It will need some work.
As @TSB8C said, it's a simple harness to finish.

I pulled my three harnesses (engine bay, under dash, and rear area) and spread them on the dining room table. With a meter, soldering iron, and a crimper, got it all working and added what I needed for custom stuff (EFI, alarm, push button start, etc). No kit needed or would have worked out-of-the-box.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks