1974 CJ5 wandering steering

1974 CJ5 wandering steering

krejr

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5
I very recently purchased a 1974 CJ5 in pretty nice shape. The seller told me not to drive it home on the freeway because “It handles like a Jeep”. This made no sense to me as I’ve owned 8 Jeeps in my lifetime (7 Grand Wagoneers and 1 Grand Cherokee) and they’ve all handled just fine. So, I decided to take the freeway anyway and got off after one exit because it was drifting all over.

I’ve read that this might be alleviated after tightening the steering box. The CJ is new to me, so if anyone could give me a link to the instructions for this, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Also, my CJ has power steering, not manual. Does this make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

I very recently purchased a 1974 CJ5 in pretty nice shape. The seller told me not to drive it home on the freeway because “It handles like a Jeep”. This made no sense to me as I’ve owned 8 Jeeps in my lifetime (7 Grand Wagoneers and 1 Grand Cherokee) and they’ve all handled just fine. So, I decided to take the freeway anyway and got off after one exit because it was drifting all over.

I’ve read that this might be alleviated after tightening the steering box. The CJ is new to me, so if anyone could give me a link to the instructions for this, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

The first eight don't count...you've got a real one now ;)

Could be a laundry list of things and probably is a combination of worn components. Ball joints and tie rod ends are a good place to start looking.

Worn spring bushings can contribute, as can loose/bent shackles, shackle bushings, worn out steering box, shaft bearings...the list goes on.

Then there are the adjustments to consider...caster, camber, toe in/out. A lot of guys will get specs printed from a front end shop. Gives you a baseline up front.

When I did mine I started with the shaft and worked my way down...replaced it all. Wasn't worth the gamble safety-wise. I was in no hurry and was able to take my time and chip away at it.

The stock OEM components on these things weren't all that fantastic to begin with when new, much less with 40 years of age on them.

Pics would help

Thanks in advance!

Is the Jeep lifted? Your castor angle could be off it is?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks