1974 CJ5 stock

1974 CJ5 stock

amedic4now

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5
Hello everyone,

Let me start this by saying, I am not a mechanic by any means and I am learning as I go. I have a stock CJ5 with the AMC 304. The problem is the Jeep has been sitting for around 30 years. I am concentrating on the motor first. When it was parked it had fluids in it and just sat. The engine was rebuilt just before it was parked. I have pulled the engine to re-gasket it. I am being told by friends that I am COMPLETELY waisting my time. I can see a pretty fair amount of oil leaking around the oil pan and valve covers. To properly inspect the engine I was also considering replacing the head gasket and pulling the heads. I know it is a lot more work but to be through and to put a solid engine back into the vehicle that I will not have to wrench on every time I want to use it, I am thinking just do it right now!!!! So what is the advice of any one here???

:ww:

I moved your thread - you had it in site questions like "how do I post a picture" etc - no worries, just FYI.

No matter what others say, it's your rig. There is never anything wrong with pulling a engine and disassemble and reassemble with new gaskets and see for yourself what has been done inside and the condition.

Especially if you see a bit of leaking, you could get away with less, but like you said - you want a great solid engine for the jeep from the start - you're doing it right...

:chug:

if its been sitting for 30 years id say pull the heads and inspect the condition of the cylinders if they are clean and rust free (at least no pitting) then id say clean it up re gasket it and get it running and enjoy.

also post some pics of your new to you rig.

one last thing welcome to the site

:ww::dbanana::banana:

Are there any local Jeep clubs near you that have a few CJ's in them? Look there for help.:confused:
Drain ALL old gas. Ck ALL oil levels.
If you had not already pulled the engine. The following has worked for me many times over the years.
Remove ALL spark plugs-Squirt couple of TBS of Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO)into each cylinder. Let soak for a day. Then put in 4th gear and with some folks help. Push the jeep back and forth 15-20'.
Does the engine turn over?
If NO-Need to do a full tear-down and rebuild.
Also-HOW was the Jeep 'stored'? If in a barn or outside. The rats/mice have eaten the wiring for sure.
Can you post pictures, so we ALL can see this Jeep??:confused:
43 yo vehicle will need LOTS of wrenching and TLC. That's a fact:notworthy:
LG

:ww::dbanana::banana:

43 yo vehicle will need LOTS of wrenching and TLC. That's a fact:notworthy:
LG

I'm living this statement. LG is so right. I too am wrenching on a 74CJ5 by choice. I wanted a project jeep and we found it.

So far engine swap. Old bad knock. Newer runs like a top.

Now changing u joints and looking at a t-case refresh or rebuild.

Other little incidentals along the way new glove box liner wiper blades.

The fun should continue for a long time.

We got this cause I felt comfortable doing it myself.

My recommendation, Do it yourself and go as far as you want. Me, on my engine swap. I opened it up and inspected everything. I was glad I did. I got piece of mind.

Enjoy the '74!
Picture of mine as I bought it.
38fd60fb2d0f0fc7bc7fc508147569ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I in the same bag. Drive a little, change a lot. All I can encourage is "Keep on Keepin' On", my friend. It's your ride and when it's right, you'll be crowing like a rooster.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks