1974 CJ5 project begins

1974 CJ5 project begins

Aquaholic57

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ5
I have just acquired a 74 CJ that has unfortunately been pretty well trashed by previous owners and my hope is to bring her back to life. The first big issue is all the brake drums, lines, master cylinder, and brake/clutch assembly have been removed and discarded. I have searched for a brake/clutch assy and have found ones that came out of a 76 tub. My question...will this assembly fit (even if some hole modification is necessary) in my 74 tub?

The challenge you are going to have is that there are a lot more part sources for post 1975 Jeeps than there are for 1975 and older Jeeps. I have a 1975 Jeep CJ5.

This site has a lot of components for Jeeps. If they don't have one for your 1974 at least you will know if it is different on the 1976's and newer years.
Jeep Clutch Parts for your Jeep CJ5, CJ7, CJ8 Scrambler at Morris 4x4 Center

I actually buy a lot of the general parts (brake, cooling, suspension, ...) at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Home Page | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Their prices are among the cheapest and I can pick up the parts within a few hours of calling them.

Hello Aqua

Sounds like a big job. Maybe post a few pictures so we can see what you are looking at. There are some real smart jeep people on this forum. Good luck.

I have the ENTIRE front brake assembly, including steering knuckles off a '73 laying around.
They are yours if you go back with 'Stock' brakes.
I have no use for them and they are in my way. Pay shipping...

---------------------

Your other option would be to use the steering knuckles, brake calipers, hubs, sub axles, ect. of something '79 with 6 bolt lockout hubs and two bolt brake calipers mounts.
The 'Easy' way to do this is to buy a front axle from something with 6 bolt lockouts and two bolt calipers.
People are always swapping in Dana 44 fronts, so Dana 30 with disc brakes are easy to find and reasonably priced.

Don't forget to adjust the drag link or your front wheels will point in crazy angles! (ask me how I know this...)

With some modification (Minor Grinding) to the actuator rod, a '79 Disc/Drum master cylinder will work pretty much stock.

This will give you DISC brakes in the front, and a master cylinder set up for Disc/Drum.

You will need a combination valve for Disc/Drum...

---------------------

Are the back brakes missing also?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks