Build Thread 194? Bantam trailer build

Build Thread 194? Bantam trailer build
Next we pulled it out of the garage and got it in primer. Thats my adopted son Tyler giving me a hand cleaning her up with turpentine.

0618231706.jpg

Then we got her primed

0618231735.jpg

Im about 3/4 done with the black now but havent gotten pics yet. Should be done with paint and reassembled this weekend. After that time to set up the solar power.

Got the 2nd coat of black on the outside tonight.

0621231951.jpg

Still going to need another coat or two inside. Rain in the forecast though. Once I get the rest of the black inside Ill pull the tape and clean it all up. Its a 20 ft paint job but what do you need for a utility/camp trailer. When I run into some money Ill sanblast and re paint.

0621231951a.jpg
And a little shout out to my Honda CRV. Its been a great little commuter car. Carries my daughters kayaks great since her XJ took a puke. Im going to build one more Cj in my life set up for my daughter. Kind of like a pre retirment project. 😁

Last edited:
Glad to see this going again. :chug:
Yeah 3 years later is entirely too long for this. Then I look back on moving twice and buying a house along with rolling the Jeep that was supposed to be the tow mule and I understand it a little more.

I managed to get the inside painted on a wndy day so Ill be cleaning up the floor once the weather permits.

0625231643.jpg

Too rainy today so the beer light in the garage is on.

0625231645.jpg

The smoker is smoking as well so thats all thats going on. Tomorrow looks like a rain day as well but Ill be able to get back at it this week for sure.

0625231701.jpg

643A34A6-D545-446A-A4D9-D1AE3E028794.jpegBF8F4B3E-2EC2-4DA9-94FD-E3F7FD337903.jpegI traded a beer light for the beer sign/chaulk board. Mainly now for notes to be posted on.

Still getting pretty good pop up thunderstorms this week. I managed to get the reflectors on but can't paint the fenders till tomorrow.

0627231744a.jpg

My question now is orange along the top and red in the rear or the mismatch I did?0627231744.jpg

Agree.

Well my project manager ( Vicki 🤣 ) decided this version looks much better and I actually must agree. Do I have any other choice? Looks like Ill be able to get some paint on the fenders and get them installed today.

0628231143.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Finally got some paint on the fenders today. Thankful for the break in the rain. Need to clean up the bed , touch up some spots with paint but its not looking too bad. Getting it water tight is going to be fun but I believe I have that covered.

0628231654.jpg

Nice. Wish I could find one of those.

Good looking trailer, now i need to finish my rear bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weather here has just been horrible lately. Thunderstorms and high humidity are the norm lately. Putting in some OT at work again so that takes up some time as well. Today Vicki and I decided to enjoy some time at our public pool since the skies were clear. 5 minutes in the pool and someones rugrat barfs in the pool. 😡 On the bright side I came home, braved the heat and finished the paint on the trailer.

0711231723_HDR.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
I'll say one thing - it's straight and black. The wheels and large tires look great. :chug: Are they 31's?

I have to admit this project has become quite emotional for me. I am not from a family of veterans , quite the opposite actually. My parents were Jehovah Witnesses who dont believe in military at all. There was a point when I was younger I wanted to join the Army but I believe that was more about rebellion than actual commitment. I wish I would've cause it wouldve straightened me out a few years earlier. 😉

Back in the beginning of this project I bought a sandblaster to clean up the entire thing. Im so glad that never came to fruition. This trailer speaks to me through its dents and dings along with its rust and neglect. Its brought up great conversation with my adopted son Tyler and I along with stirring our imagination for sure. Weve imagined stories we'd love to see along with ones we really wouldn't. Its been a great teaching tool as well considering alot of schools glaze over important historical moments anymore.

0711231745_HDR.jpg
This brings me to the battered and beaten part of my trailer. Im trying to love it and bring it back in a respectful way now. Its going on 70 years old now. Im going to keep it with its scars. Unfortunately before I got it it was basically abandoned and neglected. Now it will live a garaged life only being asked to carry camping gear.

That being said Id like anyone who reads this thread to donate to any Veterans charity of their choice because they should never be neglected like my trailer was.

Last edited:
  • Thanks for the Post!
I'll say one thing - it's straight and black. The wheels and large tires look great. :chug: Are they 31's?
They're 32s to match my Cj. Farmed out a little work to my brother in law on Vader. Cant wait to get a pic of them both together

I have to admit this project has become quite emotional for me. I am not from a family of veterans , quite the opposite actually. My parents were Jehovah Witnesses who dont believe in military at all. There was a point when I was younger I wanted to join the Army but I believe that was more about rebellion than actual commitment. I wish I would've cause it wouldve straightened me out a few years earlier. 😉

Back in the beginning of this project I bought a sandblaster to clean up the entire thing. Im so glad that never came to fruition. This trailer speaks to me through its dents and dings along with its rust and neglect. Its brought up great conversation with my adopted son Tyler and I along with stirring our imagination for sure. Weve imagined stories we'd love to see along with ones we really wouldn't. Its been a great teaching tool as well considering alot of schools glaze over important historical moments anymore.

View attachment 86034
This brings me to the battered and beaten part of my trailer. Im trying to love it and bring it back in a respectful way now. Its going on 70 years old now. Im going to keep it with its scars. Unfortunately before I got it it was basically abandoned and neglected. Now it will live a garaged life only being asked to carry camping gear.

That being said Id like anyone who reads this thread to donate to any Veterans charity of their choice because they should never be neglected like my trailer was.
Thank you for sharing that story. You know me, and as a son in a Gold Star family I'm always military and veteran supportive. You done good... :tu: :chug:

Thank you for sharing that story. You know me, and as a son in a Gold Star family I'm always military and veteran supportive. You done good... :tu: :chug:
God bless you my friend. Ive gotten emotional with some Jeep projects. This one made me cry in front of State police.

IMG_20200126_032936165.jpg

This one hits me in the feelings as well , but I know its in good hands. 🥴
Cj-8withfatguy.jpg

Still ridiculous humidity around here. Managed to seal her up though and I dont see anywhere water should get in. Cleaned up the overspray as well.

0717231600.jpg

Not as easy to see since I painted it right away but the bottom front took some damage that needed some hammering then seam sealer.

0717231601.jpg

Getting my battery this weekend so Im gathering up the solar system and getting it situated. Gotta get it ready for the end of the month camp trip

0717231601_HDR.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks