1937 Packard Engine Swap

1937 Packard Engine Swap

gpcj703

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 7, 258 engine
1937 Packard Engine Swap
I need help !! I have a 1937 Packard with no engine. It has its' original 3 speed tranny and driveshaft. I dont have the $$$$$ to find an engine and would like to swap-in something more modern. I have a 1979 258cu 4.2L straight 6 from a CJ7 and would like to know if this engine could work in the Packard ?? I dont have the 'financial means' of purchasing another donor vehicle or engine. Can anyone advise me?? The CJ7 engine runs very good and has a T-150 3-speed tranny which works as well. Can this engine & tranny combo work in this car? What kind of 'modifications' do I need to do? What about the drive-shaft and the fact that the tranny is 4-wheel drive?? BTW, the I am no longer driving the Jeep due to 'severe' body and chassis corrosion and wanted to salvage the engine/trans for another project. Can anyone out there help me??? Thanks very much !!

The problem with the engine from the CJ is the tranny is made to have a transfer case bolted on. The tranny you need would have a tailhousing for a driveshaft. It may be hard to find a 2WD tranny that bolts up to your 258 bellhousing. Look for a tranny out of a AMC 2WD car. Even then I am not sure it will bolt up to your bellhousing.
You will want a engine and transmission combo for a 2 wheel drive. Once you find that there will be some fabrication. You will have to install engine mounts and a transmission mount. I would think the transmission may be an issue. I think a '37 Packard has a tall narrow radiator.
The clutch linkage will also be an issue. If you get a hydraulic clutch then you would need to find a way to mount the hydraulic clutch pedal. I think mounting a non-hydraulic clutch would entail more fabrication.
You would also need a shop make a drive shaft for you.

I realize this thread is a bit dated but my thoughts are that a 37 Packard would be worth quite a bit just for parts in the restoration crowd. Probably a lot more than it will be worth with a transplanted AMC 6. Not meaning to throw water on the fire, but if it was mine, it would be getting sold with the $ going to a Jeep project-especially if I didn't have the funds to really do it right.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom