1937 Packard Engine Swap

1937 Packard Engine Swap

gpcj703

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 7, 258 engine
1937 Packard Engine Swap
I need help !! I have a 1937 Packard with no engine. It has its' original 3 speed tranny and driveshaft. I dont have the $$$$$ to find an engine and would like to swap-in something more modern. I have a 1979 258cu 4.2L straight 6 from a CJ7 and would like to know if this engine could work in the Packard ?? I dont have the 'financial means' of purchasing another donor vehicle or engine. Can anyone advise me?? The CJ7 engine runs very good and has a T-150 3-speed tranny which works as well. Can this engine & tranny combo work in this car? What kind of 'modifications' do I need to do? What about the drive-shaft and the fact that the tranny is 4-wheel drive?? BTW, the I am no longer driving the Jeep due to 'severe' body and chassis corrosion and wanted to salvage the engine/trans for another project. Can anyone out there help me??? Thanks very much !!

The problem with the engine from the CJ is the tranny is made to have a transfer case bolted on. The tranny you need would have a tailhousing for a driveshaft. It may be hard to find a 2WD tranny that bolts up to your 258 bellhousing. Look for a tranny out of a AMC 2WD car. Even then I am not sure it will bolt up to your bellhousing.
You will want a engine and transmission combo for a 2 wheel drive. Once you find that there will be some fabrication. You will have to install engine mounts and a transmission mount. I would think the transmission may be an issue. I think a '37 Packard has a tall narrow radiator.
The clutch linkage will also be an issue. If you get a hydraulic clutch then you would need to find a way to mount the hydraulic clutch pedal. I think mounting a non-hydraulic clutch would entail more fabrication.
You would also need a shop make a drive shaft for you.

I realize this thread is a bit dated but my thoughts are that a 37 Packard would be worth quite a bit just for parts in the restoration crowd. Probably a lot more than it will be worth with a transplanted AMC 6. Not meaning to throw water on the fire, but if it was mine, it would be getting sold with the $ going to a Jeep project-especially if I didn't have the funds to really do it right.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks