Wiper Motor Linkage Picture

Wiper Motor Linkage Picture

Nomad127

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'73 CJ5 with '84 258, D30/D44
Can someone with a '72-'75 CJ, please take a photo of the orientation of their motor linkage from the inside of the the jeep? Every time I connect the motor to the linkage and test the operation, it gets jammed against the top of the sill. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I haven't worked on a '73 linkage but I think all CJs have an adjustable motor. If the motor is too far to one side the wiper will go too far one direction and jam.

1910505.jpg

See the pivot point (part #5). When this is pointing strait down the motor has the best leverage to move the wiper. If that pivot arm is ever horisontal then the wiper will jam. Watch the linkage as the wiper moves.

1910505.jpg

See the pivot point (part #5). When this is pointing strait down the motor has the best leverage to move the wiper. If that pivot arm is ever horisontal then the wiper will jam. Watch the linkage as the wiper moves.
I'll try that and see if it helps. On the motor, I can adjust the angle where the motor bracket is in it's "rest" position which is what I'm looking for. I don't know if it's best to have it "rest" pointing up, down, left, or right.

Watch the motor run. When the wiper goes all the way to the right and then all the way to the left you want to make sure the pivot never becomes too horizontal. Position the motor so the pivot never goes to either extreme as it makes its sweep. The motor doesn't have much adjustability. I have seen where I have adjusted the motor all the way and it still wasn't far enough. The reason was the windshild frame was bent right where the pivot was. The pivot was then actually pointing slightly to the side.

Got it Busa! Looking closer at your diagram, I realized there was an additional linkage from the bracket to the motor which was binding against the windshield frame. I guess it was the original motor linkage. Since the Jeep didn't come with a wiper motor, I didn't realize that when I installed the new one. After removing that extra linkage, works great now. Thanks again!

BTW, I hate you for living in Durango. :chug:

Glad I could help.

Oh and please do hate me. I will bask in your hatred when I am in the mountains next weekend. :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks