Winter Cross Country Trip (RTT Trailer VS Motels)

Winter Cross Country Trip (RTT Trailer VS Motels)

jzak

Old Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5/258 4.2L I6, Tremec T-176 4-speed, Dana 300, Power Steering, Howell Throttle Body Injection System, Warn Locking Hubs, Warn Rock Crawler front/rear bumper with Tire Swing Carrier, Full Roll Cage, Pro Comp ES9000 shocks
Hey All!
So i've been considering doing a cross country trip for about a month in my CJ5. Sometime between February and March. I've been debating whether or not i should buy a Roof-Top Tent Trailer, or just stay in motels/airbnb. I calculated the costs between the two options and its about the same. While I would love the adventure of camping out in the wilderness, I'm a little concerned about freezing my A** off, and the challenges of towing a trailer for a few thousand miles. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

A nice warm shower each night, probably semi comfy bed, sounds better than freezing my butt off. Any other time of year I'd say trailer

I vote trailer and freezing a** off..... after you get a trailer and rent you can use it when ever you want for a really long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am wanting the tent for mine and there are heaters available for the tents

Thanks Guys! Found this trailer online. Even comes with a portable AC/heater. Its hard not to pull the trigger and buy it, but with it being winter I just don't know. I don't mind the cold, except when i'm trying to sleep, so a hot shower and a real bed sounds tempting.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/tro/d/m416-jeep-trailer-and-roof/6449352697.html

Man that looks pretty sweet and it’s already done and works, probably would work real good if you wait til April/may to go on your trip, if you need a place in the dallas area give me a ring

Thanks Gert! It is a nice looking trailer. Would love to wait until spring, but i'm starting a new job end of March, so i've got just February and March to make this trip happen.

Last edited:
Thanks Gert! It is a nice looking trailer. Would love to wait until spring, but i'm starting a new job end of March, so i've got just February and March to make this trip happen.

Totally understandable sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do

Totally understandable sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do

Around here it's just to hot to do camping in the summer, so that being said, most of my camping in the last 30 years has been either late fall or winter or early spring camping. I don't know your trip plan, but if you drive south,most of the time the weather can be pretty good that time of year. Some good places to see all the way, west Texas, New Mexico, Arizona can all be pretty dry usually that Time of year and some great back roads also. CAMPING IT IS You can always grab a camp ground a few times a week with hot showers. I like camping out in the middle of no where.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks