Body Windshield to Cowl Gasket

Body Windshield to Cowl Gasket

Super8mm

Active Jeeper
Bronze Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5, 4 cyl, Borg Warner/Ford SR-4 4 spd, Dana 300 transfer case.
Start a heart transplant mid November with LS1 and SM465 :-)
I am wanting to replace my gasket between the bottom of the windshield frame and the body.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one, preferably not Omix or Crown. I think mine of so old it has turned hard so I can’t pull my windshield back as far as it should be. It should be 67 ¼ from top of frame to back edge of the jeep and I am at 68”. I got my soft top on my using some clamps and ratchet straps a bit at a time over 2 days to stretch it to fit, but I am looking at putting a hard top on so I need to do something to get it to tilt back about another ¾”

I am hoping a new gasket will be soft enough for me to get there.

You can adjust the window here on both sides. When I went from original soft doors to 1/2 steel doors and soft windows it took me 4 or 5 times taking the top partly off and fractionally adjusting those bolts on each side. Now I can use both original soft doors or 1/2 soft windows with half steel doors from a YJ. I willlook and see if I can find the correct vendor I have been hearing about who makes a pretty good seal. If you look closely you can see where the bolts were for a long time before getting adjusted 841C300C-38E4-479A-B757-C323252B0C8E.jpeg

Metro Moulded Parts See if they make that seal. I saved these pictures. 943C6F88-F441-4FAA-A014-7F30C388A7FC.jpeg923F3A8A-F353-43D3-84F0-B84A289C8688.jpeg

You can adjust the window here on both sides. When I went from original soft doors to 1/2 steel doors and soft windows it took me 4 or 5 times taking the top partly off and fractionally adjusting those bolts on each side. Now I can use both original soft doors or 1/2 soft windows with half steel doors from a YJ. I willlook and see if I can find the correct vendor I have been hearing about who makes a pretty good seal. If you look closely you can see where the bolts were for a long time before getting adjusted
Thanks, So you just raise it up?

Metro Moulded Parts See if they make that seal. I saved these pictures.
Thanks, I got it bookmarked, I will order one after I get my steering column in .

Thanks, So you just raise it up?
No it’s on hinges. By loosening then pushing the top of the frame forward it gave me more room for the frame of the window which is what I needed in that area. Sounds like you need to loosen and pull back at the top of the windshield. I would need to look probably at yours before I adjusted just to see what you have going on. You may really need a new gasket and not need to adjust it. Or if you get a new gasket, it may then need adjusting.

Have you taken the 2 big screw knobs off and pushed the windshield forward and laid it on the hood and inspected the gasket yet to see how pliable it is ?

Have you taken the 2 big screw knobs off and pushed the windshield forward and laid it on the hood and inspected the gasket yet to see how pliable it is ?
I did several years ago but I need to do it again. I did scratch my fingernail on that end of the gasket showing and it was crumbly and hard.

here are the adjustment knobs, what I did last time I put the top on I used ratchet straps to pull the top back with these loosened up and then tightened they up and finished putting the top on. So it looks like that rubber must be rock hard?

windsheild adjust.jpg

Could be. Mine is original and still in pretty good shape, but stays in the garage without sun beating on it.

I got a fairchild industries one a few weeks ago to replace a failing 10+ year old omix. I'll be putting it on when i pull the hardtop off in the next week or two. I'll post up some impressions.

I got a fairchild industries one a few weeks ago to replace a failing 10+ year old omix. I'll be putting it on when i pull the hardtop off in the next week or two. I'll post up some impressions.
Hearing good things. Love to use the one I have hanging in my garage but its Crown and for the most part they're not known for quality.

I did use one before and trimmed it for a decent fit but only had it in for a year

I ordered one from Metro Moulded last night. I dug out my Bikini in case I have problem with this one.

I replaced my same gasket last year with an Omix Chinese 💩. Really bad! Curled and flimsy material. Also, it isn't the same dimension/width top to bottom, to it doesn't cover the spot welds. You can see a strip of the original grey colored paint.

Please let me know how the Fairchild/Metro one goes, as I'll be in the market to replace mine too.

windshield - cowl gasket.jpg

I replaced my same gasket last year with an Omix Chinese 💩. Really bad! Curled and flimsy material. Also, it isn't the same dimension/width top to bottom, to it doesn't cover the spot welds. You can see a strip of the original grey colored paint.

Please let me know how the Fairchild/Metro one goes, as I'll be in the market to replace mine too.
I will post pictures when I get it in. I have not received a shipping notice yet but I hope it gets here this week.

I'd guess that the Metro Molded and Steele are the same product. They use the same product picture on their websites and they're about the same price too. Thanks for the info.

Honestly it would be nice to create a directory for some of these harder to find quality replacement parts like the cowl seal and all the door seals etc. 🤔

Honestly it would be nice to create a directory for some of these harder to find quality replacement parts like the cowl seal and all the door seals etc. 🤔
That's what our Downloads / Reasorces area is for. I'll make a new space.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks