Willys Wagon

Willys Wagon
Looking at jeeps on Easter sounds like a pretty good Easter to me. Happy Easter and good luck to you!

EASTER OMG it's Easter! ....... I'm sure to burn in the underworld ...... :) Not to worry, I knew it is Easter. I called the owner and cleared it with him first. He was cool with it.

This one is ... well its worse than the one up in Phoenix, but its also more honest. The bad part is it's got a lot of missing pieces and parts, along with a GREAT BIG hole in the firewall to fir the Chevy distributor. It can be fixed, but as Forest Gump said, "It's one more thing." ......

Now to see what is still available for Willys Wagons. Probably the best part is that it shares most of it's parts with Willys pick-ups.

Had to let the blue 1949 go, he was VERY motivated to move it along and I could have gotten it for a song. Unfortunately it needed to have frame work and I simply don't have room for a frame of restore job.

Today I looked at a 1955 that has me seriously thinking. It is stripped with all the pieces in boxes. The metal is VERY sound with very little filler any kind. Essentially it needs a little work and paint, some chrome work would also be good. Amazingly enough it still has the stock seats, both front and rear sets along with repairable oak strips. Essentially stripping down and most of the repairs have been done. Tons of extras like transfer cases and transmissions .......$3600

I've got dibs on the T18 transmission. :)

No T-18 in it, it's got 3 automatic transmissions and as many transfer cases that come with it. Unfortunately I have NO interest in any of them.
The engine is a fresh unfired 283 rebuild, outside lookin' in it looks brand new. Who knows what went on with the builder though. The main reason I haven't dropped my T-18/Dana 20 in my CJ is the thought in my mind that it would go nicely in a Willys Wagon. ... also the CJ5 is running so well right now. Tearing it apart seems somehow wrong. The price could be considered a little high, but the body is righteous with no bondo where it should be, all metal, small fixable bumps here and there.

Never been so torn. The last Wagon has serious potential, but needs serious work to even get it driving. One minute I'm all "YEAH GO FOR it!" The next it's. "This this will break you, stop this right now!"

HH-YOU busted your butt to get your CJ where it is. :notworthy:
Spend the summer playing with it. :driving:
Who knows-You just might want that T-18 in your CJ. :D
Get your M1A up and run'n the way you want it.
MAYBE-Think about that Colorado run, that several of the forum will attend.
Kick back and enjoy-:chug:
Respectfully,
LG

Good points all. The Colorado trip won't happen for me this year. It would be nice to meet some of the folks attending the event.

Trailered my Wagon home last night. It does look good. There are a couple oddities on it. It has a second gas tank under the floor behind the drivers seat. You can tell it was a different world back in 1951. The tank fills from INSIDE the cab. Roll the drivers seat forward and there's the filler cap. There also is a pressurized water tank next to the fuel tank. Fill it or I suppose back fill it through a hose spigot/valve, then add pressure in a Schrader/air valve located behind the stick shift. The tank looks like it will hold well over 5 gallons of water. Can't say as It would be drinking water though. I really don't know what it would be used for, if it were a Forest Service vehicle I suppose you could put a camp or other small fire out with it.

HH-Is this tank OEM??
LG

Maybe they were thinking about bugging out back then !

Lumpy - I'm getting conflicting information on whether it or they are factory installed. Some Wagons DID get an additional fuel tank behind the drivers seat, but about all I can find is mention of it. Nothing else. Over on the OldWillys board there is a thread on an additional tank, but it's mostly a picture thread. Unfortunately Photobucket screwed that one up completely.

As far as the water tank, a big yellow peanut shaped thing, is concerned nobody is saying a single word about it. As evidenced by a black tag from the factory on the glove compartment it is a "Government Service" vehicle for the Marine Corp., Forest Service or GSA. Who knows what they might have specified on their construction sheet.

Please see "Willys Wagon II for more replies....

Last edited:
This is my first time seeing this thread but I am in the same boat right now. My neighbor has a willy wagon all original running drivetrain and I have been trying to buy it for years now. Last week he offered it up to me for $800 but the timing couldn't be more wrong. The only real issue is that it doesn't have a vin. I am thinking I could work around that but I am not sure if I want to deal with the hassle. I want to buy a rusted out cherokee and swap the whole drivetrain into the willys and then keep it looking old school cool for a nice cruiser.

What is the year of the Wagon? Some of the very early ones are a bit loose on Vin Numbers. If you give me the year I've got a manual that will tell me where you should look.

What is the year of the Wagon? Some of the very early ones are a bit loose on Vin Numbers. If you give me the year I've got a manual that will tell me where you should look.

I believe it is a 55 era because it has the 3 horizontal slots and the hurricane Flathead 6 in it. I just bought it from my neighbor last night for $600. The motor runs great but it needs brake work. From what I gather the vin is supposed to be on the driver side door opening next to the floor box which he said is missing. The serial number should be above the passenger side shock mount and on the motor. I am going to give it a good look tonight.

I had a big LONG post for you, but the internet blew up and I lost it in the either somewhere. The information I had came directly from the Willys America Parts & Restoration book. Everyone working on their Wagon needs one of these very specific books. It's a little pricey, but well worth it. The information is very specific and helpful.

$600 for a running Wagon is a very decent price, I'd pay that for the engine alone.

I had a big LONG post for you, but the internet blew up and I lost it in the either somewhere. The information I had came directly from the Willys America Parts & Restoration book. Everyone working on their Wagon needs one of these very specific books. It's a little pricey, but well worth it. The information is very specific and helpful.

$600 for a running Wagon is a very decent price, I'd pay that for the engine alone.
Thanks for the info. My posts get lost alot on this site when i am on my work computer. It frustrates me to the point that i stopped coming here for quite awhile.
The truck is going to site this winter since i have more work to do on the Scrambler but watching your threads will be big inspiration for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You might be correct, but I think the problem today was on my end. Occasionally the internet drops out without me knowing it. When I hit send nothing happens and the computer times out.

I'm super serious aout getting the Willys America book. They are Wagon restorers and they seriously know their trade.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks