Wide Track versus Narrow Track versus ????

Wide Track versus Narrow Track versus ????

jeepn4evr

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 - 258 from an 85 CJ7, hopefully soon to be replaced with a FI 4.0 HO from a 96 Cherokee, T-18 tranny, stock brakes, gears & axles (d30f & D44r), hopefully soon to be replaced with wide tracks & disc brakes. Body restored
Hey guys, newbie to the forum here. Hopefully a quick question.

I have a 74 CJ5 with stock "narrow Track" axles (Dana 30 f & D44r if I am not mistaken)& running 33x12.50 mud terrains. Last week I was given a set of Wide Track axles. Originally I was going to scrap them (which is why they were given to me) but for now am keeping them. The front is mostly complete minus the calipers for the disk brakes. I think I would need to tear it apart & rebuild it & clean it up but is mostly there. The rear is missing everything from the hubs out & I am not sure if the axle shafts or gears are there.

Couple questions -

First - what axles & gears are the wide track?

Other than being 3 in wider in the front & 4 in wider in the rear & the front having disc brakes are these a better axle to have under my Jeep? If so why?

The rear is missing the hubs & brakes. What brakes came on there? If it was drum how hard is it to convert to Disc & what vehicles can I steal parts from to do so?

Would I be better off either finding a 44 for my front axle & upgrading to disc brakes then or ??

Reason I ask is I am not going to be doing any major 4 wheeling with the Jeep. Nothing ridiculous. While I like what it has done for me so far (with stock axles) I do want to upgrade to disk brakes & wouldn't mind something better than the Dana 30 up front. Being as I got these for free am wondering if I should invest whats needed into them or save my money for a Dana 44 with disc conversion or what?

Hey guys, newbie to the forum here. Hopefully a quick question.

I have a 74 CJ5 with stock "narrow Track" axles (Dana 30 f & D44r if I am not mistaken)& running 33x12.50 mud terrains. Last week I was given a set of Wide Track axles. Originally I was going to scrap them (which is why they were given to me) but for now am keeping them. The front is mostly complete minus the calipers for the disk brakes. I think I would need to tear it apart & rebuild it & clean it up but is mostly there. The rear is missing everything from the hubs out & I am not sure if the axle shafts or gears are there.

Couple questions -

First - what axles & gears are the wide track?

Other than being 3 in wider in the front & 4 in wider in the rear & the front having disc brakes are these a better axle to have under my Jeep? If so why?

The rear is missing the hubs & brakes. What brakes came on there? If it was drum how hard is it to convert to Disc & what vehicles can I steal parts from to do so?

Would I be better off either finding a 44 for my front axle & upgrading to disc brakes then or ??

Reason I ask is I am not going to be doing any major 4 wheeling with the Jeep. Nothing ridiculous. While I like what it has done for me so far (with stock axles) I do want to upgrade to disk brakes & wouldn't mind something better than the Dana 30 up front. Being as I got these for free am wondering if I should invest whats needed into them or save my money for a Dana 44 with disc conversion or what?

Wide track rear could be either a AMC20 or a Dana 44, the front will be a Dana 30-same as the NT. Your 74 Dana 44 should be the one piece flanged axles and for a stock unit, it doesn't get any better.

The wide track gears are probably 3.73's but could be just about anything.

If the wide track is an AMC20, your going to be doing a downgrade from what you have. Personally, I like the NT's on the trail. If you need a bit more frame/spring clearence for the 33-12.5's on the front, just put a set of QUALITY wheel spacers on it.

Thanks for the info guys. So question now is since I would like a Dana 44 up front would it be better to get something from a Scout (gasp) or something similar to get disc & 44 up front? What would fit & would I need to make the back wider at all or are those D44s same WMS size?

would it be better to get something from a Scout (gasp) or something similar to get disc & 44 up front?
The problem with the Scout front axle is to do it right you should cut and reweld the steering knuckles to fix the caster.

Get a matching set of Wagonner Dana 44's and go from there? It is about the easiest swap but no front Dana 44 is truly easy.

Its not as easy as it sounds on paper. The rear will need a set of spring perches welded on and shock tabs relocated.. thats the easy part.

The fronts will need one of 2 things done
#1 cut down the long side shaft to make it the same width as the CJ axle so it will bolt in. so Unless you know how to cur down an axle, remove and relocate the inner C to the new one and pay for a custom long side shaft you will be throwing wads of cash at it.

#2 you can leave the axle stock width and outboard it. with that you will need new out board mounts, shocks relocated, and custom drag link made. the wagoneer drag link is to long and doesnt fit into the CJ box.

Then there is the added costs of new rims since waggy axles are 6x5.5 bolt pattern.

If it were me and I had the same dilemma I would use the dana 35 front with the disc brakes that you were given. Get a good set of spider tracks spacers to match the rear to the front and regear the front as needed. Unless the rear you were given is a 44 also then it would be sill to swap it out. Ive had a CJ on waggy 44's and a CJ on J-10 44/20. the J-10 axles almost completely stick out past the body.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks