Wide Track CJ7 Sway Bar mounts

Wide Track CJ7 Sway Bar mounts

Masscj7

Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, SBC 350, Dana 300, D30, AMC20
In the process of my rebuild this afternoon and remounting the sway bar. I went through my Chiltons, my FSM, and my rebuild guide and cant seem to see any real mention of the sway bar.

Two things. First, is there supposed to be a sleeve in the frame where through bolt goes through the frame? The bolt hole is pretty large.

Second, there are two holes in bottom of frame and that have locating protrusions , that match up perfect with the holes in sway bar mounts, but the aren’t threaded. Also, I bagged my bolts and my bag for “sway bar” only had the larger frame though bolts and the 4 for mounting bushings and u brackets.

I’m struggling to think that the mounts here only held in by the loopy single through frame bolt. Any ideas?

431a373217678321886427d62a452066.jpg

e479be7103705d3dc420b05db3e97b5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the process of my rebuild this afternoon and remounting the sway bar. I went through my Chiltons, my FSM, and my rebuild guide and cant seem to see any real mention of the sway bar.

Two things. First, is there supposed to be a sleeve in the frame where through bolt goes through the frame? The bolt hole is pretty large.

Second, there are two holes in bottom of frame and that have locating protrusions , that match up perfect with the holes in sway bar mounts, but the aren’t threaded. Also, I bagged my bolts and my bag for “sway bar” only had the larger frame though bolts and the 4 for mounting bushings and u brackets.

I’m struggling to think that the mounts here only held in by the loopy single through frame bolt. Any ideas?

You’re correct about the mounts not being held onto the frame by only the through bolts. I recently removed my sway bar (frame off rebuild) and the brackets were held in place with three bolts; the through from bolt that goes through the apex of the triangular portion of the bracket and two that fasten from the bottom into some rivnuts inside the frame. These are nuts that are welded in place. I broke a bolt on each bracket removing them, so I’m not sure if I’ll either try and get the remaining shaft out or cut my losses and just weld the bracket onto the frame before I repaint it.

I didn’t see any sleeve where the other bolt went through. Hope this helps.

Just went out and checked mine. There is a threaded standoff that the bolts screw in. One on the inside of the frame. Two on the bottom. Pictures are low light. I can get better tomorrow if needed.
c534cf1cc1d1bed28173b62e46ef030f.jpg
1443f783f2588e1ee498277a3b391d61.jpg

Sent from the man cave using Tapatalk

Just went out and checked mine. There is a threaded standoff that the bolts screw in. One on the inside of the frame. Two on the bottom. Pictures are low light. I can get better tomorrow if needed.

Sent from the man cave using Tapatalk

Looks like you’ve got it. I didn’t remember the top one being threaded, just went through and the nut secured the bolt, but I could be remembering wrongly.

You guys rock. I wonder if I can tap the bottom ones? Not a lot of meat. If not, probably going to have to find someone to weld some nuts to plates that I can put in through the slot hole in frame and then slide down to the holes.

I think I might make some spacers as my through bolt holes are 3/4” wide for a 7/16 bolt. Just feels real sloppy to me.

You guys rock. I wonder if I can tap the bottom ones? Not a lot of meat. If not, probably going to have to find someone to weld some nuts to plates that I can put in through the slot hole in frame and then slide down to the holes.

I think I might make some spacers as my through bolt holes are 3/4” wide for a 7/16 bolt. Just feels real sloppy to me.

You could do what I’m probably going to end up doing if I can get the broken bolts out; have someone just weld the brackets to the frame and not even worry about the bottom bolts.

Seems like less trouble and when are you honestly going to have that thing stripped down to the frame again?

Hmm, that’s a thought if I could get someone to come to me. Hate to blem up the fresh new epoxy paint though. Gonna toss around a few ideas on this one for a bit.

So just spent an hour in the garage. I was able clean the holes up and run a tap through it. Had to go real slow and patient, but got a nice cut with a 7/16 14 tap and got a solid 4 threads per hole, if not almost 5.

Some thread locker and think they’ll be good.

So just spent an hour in the garage. I was able clean the holes up and run a tap through it. Had to go real slow and patient, but got a nice cut with a 7/16 14 tap and got a solid 4 threads per hole, if not almost 5.

Some thread locker and think they’ll be good.

That’s awesome. You wanna take of mine too haha...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks