Wide Tires

Wide Tires

martyb144

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 CJ7 360 T176 D300 D20 AMC20
First time posting: I'm currently running MT 31x15.5 15s on 15x12 aluminum rims on an 85 CJ7 with a 2.5 in lift. The MTs have been on since 1994 and are ready to be replaced. They don't make that tire anymore so I'm looking for a narrower tire I can mount on the existing rims. Maybe a 33X13.5 or 33x14.5. Any experience or suggestions?

I have run 33x12.5 and 35x12.5 on 10" rims with no problems.

15"x12" rims are for 35" tires. :confused:
I'm run'n BFG 33's on 15x8 ALCOA wheels, and that has work'd great.
LG

First time posting: I'm currently running MT 31x15.5 15s on 15x12 aluminum rims on an 85 CJ7 with a 2.5 in lift. The MTs have been on since 1994 and are ready to be replaced. They don't make that tire anymore so I'm looking for a narrower tire I can mount on the existing rims. Maybe a 33X13.5 or 33x14.5. Any experience or suggestions?

24 year old tires? I don't care how much tread is left, don't go this long without new tires again. Tires do break down and become a safety hazard just by sitting there. They say 6 or so years is the shelf life of a tire.

Ditto on what Scorzany stated, That is if you want to live a long and happy life. I would say a wheel and tire size that wide would really have a negative effect on steering, braking, tire and bearing wear.

Awfully wide rims. What is the usage of your rig? 33's will rub while articulating in offroad situations with only a 2-1/2" lift and maybe while at full lock on road, depending on the offset on the rims. I'm running 32x11.50x15 on the stock 15x7 rims,2 1/2-3" lift with no issues on or off-road

And here you guys go again, attacking a new member and telling him that his setup is wrong or that it won't work...

If martyb144 comes back, this isn't the kind of welcome I'd like to a new site...

Obviously if he's had the tires on there for 24 years he knows his rig and how/where he wants to drive it... SMH, I'm disappointed in what this site has become :(

I fail to see how telling him that driving on 24 year old tires is dangerous is attacking him.

I would want someone to tell me if I had a safety hazard. LG did with my gas filter. Did I get offended? No. I appreciated it. I didn't know about the hazard. LG did and he did the right thing and told me.

I work in an oil refinery. Safety is #1. Without it people get would get hurt, maimed, and killed. I've seen it. Safety is not a joke

I actually had a personal experience with aged tired but plenty of tread left. Luckily I had both hands on the wheel. Easily could have had a bad bad accident. After this I learned of the danger. Didn't know before this.

I didn't insult or attack the guy. I am trying to help save the guy from injury or even his life. Or someone else's for that matter. I didn't see anyone else attack the guy either.

Normally I would have just let this go but I'm not going to sit here and let someone counter the point that driving on 24 year old tires is dangerous. Period. End of discussion. We are not talking about a difference of opinion on what brand oil you should use.

Now I am getting passionate about this as you can see but I care about him, me, and you.

Read this on the danger.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

Welcome martyb144! Didn't realize it was your first post.

Last edited:
Generally speaking a rim width of 2” narrower than the tire is what most tire manufacturers look for. There are some exceptions. Hummer H1 ‘s for example have. 12.5 spec tire on an 8.5 wheel. Tires that are “stretched” (thats what the cool kids call it) expose the sidewall to cuts and abrasions, the rim bead to damage, and could cause abnormal treadware. A tire width of 10.5-14.5 would fit on the rims you have without an issue.

How long have you had the jeep? If its a recent purchase check for clearance issues. Sometimes rims that are wider than normal also have alot of offset wich causes the tire to “swing” in a wider arc than normal and while a 31” tire may have cleared a 33” might not.

Measure,measure,measure,measure. Buy,wheel,smile.

I fail to see how telling him that driving on 24 year old tires is dangerous is attacking him.

I would want someone to tell me if I had a safety hazard. LG did with my gas filter. Did I get offended? No. I appreciated it. I didn't know about the hazard. LG did and he did the right thing and told me.

I work in an oil refinery. Safety is #1. Without it people get would get hurt, maimed, and killed. I've seen it. Safety is not a joke

I actually had a personal experience with aged tired but plenty of tread left. Luckily I had both hands on the wheel. Easily could have had a bad bad accident. After this I learned of the danger. Didn't know before this.

I didn't insult or attack the guy. I am trying to help save the guy from injury or even his life. Or someone else's for that matter. I didn't see anyone else attack the guy either.

Normally I would have just let this go but I'm not going to sit here and let someone counter the point that driving on 24 year old tires is dangerous. Period. End of discussion. We are not talking about a difference of opinion on what brand oil you should use.

Now I am getting passionate about this as you can see but I care about him, me, and you.

Read this on the danger.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

Welcome martyb144! Didn't realize it was your first post.

:agree: 110% here.
There were no 'insults' posted.
LG

martyb, Welcome !!!! Try pro-comp, Mickey Thompson, or Cooper Tires.

You could also try Simpletire.com.

Never really looked at tires in that size (33”) not very common that wide.

Thanks for all the passionate responses. I accept the feedback with the kindness that was intended. I bought my CJ new in 85 but it has spent most of the last 10 years in my garage awaiting the rebuild that I'm currently engaged in. Since my jeep is mainly used on road the 31x15.5x15s work great on smooth roads but can be terrifying for the unaware on the uneven or rutted surfaces (that's why I don't anyone else drive it). I like the look of the wide tires and I'm trying to maintain it. I was looking for any others who had experience with tires of this width.

I also bought my '7' new in '85 :chug:
What suspension mods have you done?
I ask because I have run 33x12:50-15 BFG A/T's for decades, and no squirrelyness other than normal CJ handling. I also removed my sway bar.
Let me suggest that you have the frontend alignment ck'd by a pro, and go from there.
My '7' is my DD.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks