What's the wheel size on my 1986 CJ7?

What's the wheel size on my 1986 CJ7?

Jride

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo. 4.2 liter, straight 6 cylinder
Hi there. Own a 1986 CJ7 Laredo. Looking to replace the back spare tire with one that matches the other four already on the jeep. I found a couple OEM wheels online (ranging in price from $80-$125). The two I found are different sizes, one if 15x8, the other is 15x7.

My questions are:

1. What's the best way to tell the size (width) of my existing rims? I can't find it marked on the rim.

2. What happens if I buy one online and it's not a match, and all 4 *tires* end up being exactly the same, but the *width* of one rim is 1" different than the other 3 rims?

thanks!

If it has little holes between the lugs, it's a 15x7. I believe all wide-tracks came with these holes and 15x7's.

The holes were for the optional chrome caps...which your Laredo would have come with orignally.

EDIT - if you mix/match then you will see a difference in stance a bit, and the extra inch is kinda noticeable.

A lot of wheels have the size stamped on the inner rim. Look there for a number. May not be there. If that is the case, measure it. Don't go by what it should have come with. I once thought my drive train was original. Then I started digging into it. Parts from several vehicles to include a FSJ. It looked original. Took me weeks to clean all the junk on it too. Needless to say, I was surprised.

On my 1986 CJ7 the originals were 15 x 7.

I purchased new wheels with the following specs.:

Size 15 x 8
Bolt Pattern 5 on 5.5
Backspace: 3.75"
Offset: -19mm
Bore: 4.25"

My 86 has factory 15x7 chrome. I will be replacing them with 17” wheels in the near future. Nobody makes any decent 15” wheel in 5x5.5 any longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 86 has factory 15x7 chrome. I will be replacing them with 17” wheels in the near future. Nobody makes any decent 15” wheel in 5x5.5 any longer

They’re harder to find, but there still some good looking wheels out there. It kind of depends on what you’re looking for, and if you want to keep sort of an OE look. Let me know if you need any help.

I found the info stamped inside my wheel. Was tough to find, but was to read enough of the info:

Y A 08 22 88 288 15x7 JJ

So it sounds like they are indeed 15x7 and not 15x8.

I'm trying to find an original 15x7 with the screw holes for the cap. Want to have a proper 5th mounted on the back, and not this crappy spare.

On my 1986 CJ7 the originals were 15 x 7.

I purchased new wheels with the following specs.:

Size 15 x 8
Bolt Pattern 5 on 5.5
Backspace: 3.75"
Offset: -19mm
Bore: 4.25"
Hey mdeluca,

I am interested in swapping my original 15x7 rims for wider 8” rims as you’ve done. Did you need to modify a anything else or did the rims - with the specs you gave, go right on? I’m putting 33” tires on mine.

Hey mdeluca,

I am interested in swapping my original 15x7 rims for wider 8” rims as you’ve done. Did you need to modify a anything else or did the rims - with the specs you gave, go right on? I’m putting 33” tires on mine.
Mine went right on and this should be true for at least '82 - '86. Anything over 31", you'll need a lift.

Mine went right on and this should be true for at least '82 - '86. Anything over 31", you'll need a lift.

Thank you for your response. I do have a little over. 3” lift after the OME YJ spring conversion. Therefore I think I’ll be okay with your wheel specs you listed.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks