whats the difference in coolants?

whats the difference in coolants?

79cj7jeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 jeep cj7, 258, auto quadratrac. base model. 2004 jeep grand cherokee, 4L auto.
quick question.. had to change the radiator in my 04 GC yesterday.. and after i poored in the coolant.. i noticed that it is only specified for pre 2000 model vehicles.. did i poor in the wrong coolant.. and whats the difference.. of course as i type this.. ill be researching it..lol. but any feed back would be appreciated.. i know this isnt about my cj.. but just a question i have ..:confused:

The orange stuff is made specifically for the newer vehicles with alot of aluminum components ie radiator, heads, water pump, and blocks the old stand by green stuff is glycol which has worked fine for decades on vehicles with alot of iron components but beware animals like the smell and taste of it and it can kill them if they ingest it :eek:

So if your putting in a 80 model 350 would u be able to use the green?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my real conceren was any left over red coolant mixing with the green that i put in.. just curious if i need to flush and fill it with the proper stuff.???:eek:

my real conceren was any left over red coolant mixing with the green that i put in.. just curious if i need to flush and fill it with the proper stuff.???:eek:

If it were me I would flush it all out and start over :( I dont remember if they are compatible or not

So lets say the motors been flushed and is as clean as it can be, what type of fluid would be the best. (I know this question is like asking what engine oil is the best,) but is there a preference on which type would be a higher quality? Ones that you guys have used

I have always used Prestone.

So lets say the motors been flushed and is as clean as it can be, what type of fluid would be the best. (I know this question is like asking what engine oil is the best,) but is there a preference on which type would be a higher quality? Ones that you guys have used

Are you asking what type of coolant is the best, or what brand is the best?

Here's the skinny, there is a TON of different kinds of anti-freeze compounds out there. Here's the list;

American Green. A light-medium green with inhibitors that include silicates and phosphates. The old standard you can purchase anywhere. Recommended replacement 2 years or 30,000 miles.

Prestone American Yellow Gold
. Some think it has a green cast to it, but gold is the color of the dye. It also includes silicates and phosphates.

DexCool Orange.
A long life coolant that features sebacate (an organic acid) and 2-EHA as the primary inhibitors. It’s used in GM cars for original equipment.

Japanese Green
. Usually a deeper green than American green, with inhibitors that include phosphates (no silicates). If it’s a conventional coolant, the recommended life span is typically 2/30. It’s also available in an extended life formula and the intervals go up to 5/100.

Toyota Red.
A conventional Japanese coolant with phosphates but no silicates. Due to a similarity in color, it’s often mistaken for Dex-Cool.

Toyota Pink and Honda Deep Green Extended Life
. These new extended-life Japanese coolants use phosphates for fast protection (no silicates) and a single organic acid (sebacate) and other inhibitors.

VW/Audi Pink.
The version used in models sold in the U.S. is an organic acid type, primarily sebacate.

European/Ford Yellow.
More of a yellow than Prestone American Yellow Gold. Its inhibitors include a relatively low dose of silicates (no phosphates), plus benzoate. Euro yellow is sold in the U.S. aftermarket as type G-05.

Chrysler Group Orange
. The dye is orange, but the formula is G-05, the same as European/Ford Yellow.

Korean Blue
. You also may have seen blue dye in some European cars (BMW and Volvo, among others). It’s similar to European/Ford yellow.

In your '79 engine, you'll be good to go with just good old fashioned American green ethylene glycol. If you're asking for a specific brand, Peak, Prestone, Xerex, I offer you no opinion, I went with NAPA brand when I refilled my cooling system recently.

Prestone is what I buy in my D.R. and it works great, thx for the info. Elwood. I didn't know if one was better then others but like I mentioned there's so many to chose from. My thing is if it works go with it, hum guess I answered my own question. :laugh: oh well thx for the DL.

Here's the skinny, there is a TON of different kinds of anti-freeze compounds out there. Here's the list;

American Green. A light-medium green with inhibitors that include silicates and phosphates. The old standard you can purchase anywhere. Recommended replacement 2 years or 30,000 miles.

Prestone American Yellow Gold
. Some think it has a green cast to it, but gold is the color of the dye. It also includes silicates and phosphates.

DexCool Orange.
A long life coolant that features sebacate (an organic acid) and 2-EHA as the primary inhibitors. It’s used in GM cars for original equipment.

Japanese Green
. Usually a deeper green than American green, with inhibitors that include phosphates (no silicates). If it’s a conventional coolant, the recommended life span is typically 2/30. It’s also available in an extended life formula and the intervals go up to 5/100.

Toyota Red.
A conventional Japanese coolant with phosphates but no silicates. Due to a similarity in color, it’s often mistaken for Dex-Cool.

Toyota Pink and Honda Deep Green Extended Life
. These new extended-life Japanese coolants use phosphates for fast protection (no silicates) and a single organic acid (sebacate) and other inhibitors.

VW/Audi Pink.
The version used in models sold in the U.S. is an organic acid type, primarily sebacate.

European/Ford Yellow.
More of a yellow than Prestone American Yellow Gold. Its inhibitors include a relatively low dose of silicates (no phosphates), plus benzoate. Euro yellow is sold in the U.S. aftermarket as type G-05.

Chrysler Group Orange
. The dye is orange, but the formula is G-05, the same as European/Ford Yellow.

Korean Blue
. You also may have seen blue dye in some European cars (BMW and Volvo, among others). It’s similar to European/Ford yellow.

In your '79 engine, you'll be good to go with just good old fashioned American green ethylene glycol. If you're asking for a specific brand, Peak, Prestone, Xerex, I offer you no opinion, I went with NAPA brand when I refilled my cooling system recently.

Holy cow, I didnt even know that there was this many types :eek:

Prestone American Yellow Gold. Some think it has a green cast to it, but gold is the color of the dye. It also includes silicates and phosphates.

DexCool Orange. A long life coolant that features sebacate (an organic acid) and 2-EHA as the primary inhibitors. It’s used in GM cars for original equipment.

Japanese Green. Usually a deeper green than American green, with inhibitors that include phosphates (no silicates). If it’s a conventional coolant, the recommended life span is typically 2/30. It’s also available in an extended life formula and the intervals go up to 5/100.

Toyota Red. A conventional Japanese coolant with phosphates but no silicates. Due to a similarity in color, it’s often mistaken for Dex-Cool.

Toyota Pink and Honda Deep Green Extended Life. These new extended-life Japanese coolants use phosphates for fast protection (no silicates) and a single organic acid (sebacate) and other inhibitors.

VW/Audi Pink. The version used in models sold in the U.S. is an organic acid type, primarily sebacate.

European/Ford Yellow. More of a yellow than Prestone American Yellow Gold. Its inhibitors include a relatively low dose of silicates (no phosphates), plus benzoate. Euro yellow is sold in the U.S. aftermarket as type G-05.

Chrysler Group Orange. The dye is orange, but the formula is G-05, the same as European/Ford Yellow.

Korean Blue. You also may have seen blue dye in some European cars (BMW and Volvo, among others). It’s similar to European/Ford yellow.

This is everything you ever wanted to know about coolants but was afraid to ask :notworthy:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks