What would you chrome on your jeep

What would you chrome on your jeep

FiNorman

Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, AMC 360, lunati cam, AX15, Affordable Fuel Injection, edelbrock performer manifold, 21 gallon fuel tank, Old Man Emu 2.5 inch lift, 1 inch body lift, tie rod flip, HMMWV H1 steering box, rear disc brake conversion, Dana 44 rear, YJ to CJ tub conversion, still working on 33 inch tires, Metallic dark blue paint.

Scrambler Project, cosmetically taking it back to the 80's- 1984 Scrambler, Laredo. 258cc, Holley Sniper EFI, 30in tires on Laredo polished wheels, Dana 44 rear, OME 2.5 YJ springs/lift, HMMWV steering box

Previously owned cj 7, 1979, Renegade, 258 and a '89 wrangler
My son and I wanted to have a couple of the pieces on the engine chrome, namely the power steering bracket and the power steering pump reservoir.
We soon found that powder coating, while long lasting, does not give you the true shine of chrome, and chroming is very expensive and hard to find since the chemicals are environmentally unfriendly.
In our research we came across this Alsa Refinish Chroming Spray System-CFXPumpsys at The Home Depot.
It basically uses silver nitrate to coat the object, will stick to nearly anything, metal, wood, plastic.

Here is a quick demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvyuwhJCyb4

While not exactly cheap, it's much more economical than the alternative. I also can't seem to find any information on what the max temperature the chrome will tolerate, or information on how durable the result is.... Will it come off the knobs?

It has me wondering, if you could chrome any other parts of your jeep, what would you chrome out?

.I also can't seem to find any information on what the max temperature the chrome will tolerate, or information on how durable the result is.... Will it come off the knobs?

It has me wondering, if you could chrome any other parts of your jeep, what would you chrome out?

You might want to look into Cerama-Kote. You can get a hi-gloss ceramic coating on durn near anything, or colors if you want. The temp range goes from 1300 up to 2000* plus depending on the color chosen. I think the Krome color is good to 1300 and I run it on my headers.

IMG_0581.jpg

Being a former Harley Davidson guy I know a little about chrome and re-chroming. On a Jeep I'd chrome NOTHING, but that's just me. Honestly, nothing will beat a real decent chrome job for shine, but as you say chrome is expensive. You can find parts that are already chromed, pulleys, power steering pumps, alternators and it might be cheaper to go that route, especially if you wait for something like your alterantor to go bad by it's own. One thing that adds some or a whole lot of bling to your engine compartment is a chrome air filter cover/housing. You can also go with a chrome or polished nuts and bolts. These can be purchased in sets or kits with everything you need included.

Honestly I hate chrome, it's not durable, it chips then it rusts. Polished stainless has a very similar look but is far more durable.

In a word 'nothing' as I prefer black out on 'Black Betty'
5367669524_e1d34a2752_z.jpg

However I'm eventually looking to get my header pipes on my Kawasaki Z1R turbo rechromed before I put 'er up for sale. There was once a local outfit 'United Chrome' but they're long gone.

I wouldn't chrome much. If anything. Headers should be done in a high temp coating. My stainless steel headers were sent to JetHot and got their sterling coating applied:

Jet-HotCoatedHeaderInstall001.jpg

Most of the other 'bling' is stainless steel (with the exception of the valve covers, dip stick, and thermostat housing):

Picture010.jpg

Some Chrome crapola:

Having working in a plating plant (about three lifetimes ago..), chrome comes in a number of varieties. We did tons of 'soft' chrome for the auto industry. Namely seat belt parts.

Getting a quality chrome plating on ordinary steel requires quite a deal of polishing of the base metal. The plating process (from what I remember) is: acid, rinse, copper, rinse, nickle, rinse, chrome, rinse. Chrome thickness is measure in millionths. Not a lot of Chrome is really on chrome parts.

Some times the parts are sent to the oven to relieve stress, other times not. Buffing of the chrome (the place I worked did no buffing), is a manual process that takes a bit of experience to do correctly.

Probably not a 100% accurate description of the process, but other than the chemistry, it's not that mysterious.

I wouldn't chrome anything on a Jeep I think they look better blacked out.

My curiosity started after I saw the picture of the picture of the amc v8 that bulltear advertises their serpentine belt system.
I bought the serpentine belt system, but couldn't find a chrome power steering pump like the one pictured. There are plenty of chrome pumps, but none that I could find for the AMC 360.
In addition to the serpentine system, which is polished aluminum, I also have a chrome alternator, the stainless steel bolt kit
I think we will be doing the power steering pump, the cover for the master cylinder.
We haven't bought the headers yet, but it looks like we will be going with the ceramic coating for the polished look.
I haven't given much thought to the air intake.

I spoke with the Alsa tech support... according to him the chrome system dries with the same strength as automotive paint, the base and clear coat are urethane and will protect up to 250 degrees.

I do agree with the blackout look, I like it myself, but after all I am the minority partner in the build.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 116
I wouldn't chrome anything on a Jeep I think they look better blacked out.

+1. It's a Jeep, not a vintage, show-class Camaro. Chrome on a Jeep just seems like sacrificing the practical for an aesthetic apropos to a distant barely-related species.

-Jon

"Chrome won't get you home"

Not to pile on. On a jeep project I like the respected but not neglected look. My standard has been, if I touch it it gets cleaned primed and painted. I do sin to some degree, under the hood my paint of choice is "Old Ford Blue". But this isn't a question of should you add some chrome or polished parts, you've already started down that road.

I'm surprised to see that you haven't found a Power Steering Pump to meet your needs. It is a fairly common Delco (I believe) or Ford pump. After looking at the picture you supplied the Pump doesn't actually look chromed, it looks like polished steel, possibly clear coated. You know what would look cool. Lightly bead blast your Power Steering Pump with a nice even finish then clear powder coat or paint it with a high heat clear.

If you do the standard '70's hot rod chrome air cleaner it might date your build, the hot look today is to black things and a blacked air handling system next to some polished or chromed parts would look very nice.

Last edited:
Not a cotton pickin' thing...

Agreed it's not a show car. Mine is a daily driver and camping/hunting rig. As for the engine, "Hedgehog" is right, blacked out is the thing. Here's mine: blacked out valve covers and air cleaner, engine block is painted black, bare aluminum intake and radiator. Only chrome under the hood is the small oil breather in the valve cover. For external, black mirrors, black bumpers, body color painted door, windshield, and hood hinges. The last external chrome I still have are the headlight trim rings and the hood latches (came with that when I bought it). So still some work needed to deal with those. But that's me.

To each his own, and if you like the chrome look when you pop the hood, more power to you. I'd never knock it.

Engine_2_small.jpg Jeep_And_Trailer_Front_Corner.jpg

Mine came from the factory as a Renegade, chrome included. I have removed the front bumper and rear bumperettes. The rest remains because, well, it's an 84 Renegade. Under the hood doesn't need chrome in my application because I don't go to car shows and pop the hood up. Like the bike riding friends of mine say "chrome don't get you home." Nice revisit of an old post.

I miss ole Hedgehog on here. He is a good member. I have his email from sometime back and will have to reach out to him.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Chrome is still a great choice for the show vehicles, especially older ones including CJ’s. I really like chrome on black. I would use it on bolts, shift sticks, drag link and tie rod, steering column, older engine pulleys and bracketry, and certain other trim pieces. Not the wheels or grille.

:cj7:Chrome? where why?

man I like some good chrome, not the cheap Chinese :dung:, it lasts longer than paint, I cant tell you how much engine paint ive blown off with carb cleaner, brake cleaner and gasoline

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks