What to use for trailer siding?

mylittlecj5

RIP Mike, we'll all miss you
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ-5,
360 AMC Engine.
35x12.50x15 TSL Super Swamper tires.

In a frame off rebuild for a long time...
I have a flatbed trailer that I need to enclose for storage.
What is everyone using for trailer siding that is relatively cheap?
The trailer is 5x8 with rails on it, but I am contemplating removing the rails and boxing in the frame with the enclosure.
I will be using a combination of 2x2x3/16 angle (top of enclosure) and 1.5" tube for the uprights.
Should end up with about 6 foot interior height.

The trailer in question...
d6224318.jpg

tea.gif

I built a inclosed trailer for my snowmobiles. I used Unistrut Metal to Frame the walls then covered it with 24 gauge tin and insulated it with 1 1\2" inch foam board. The Unistrut makes it easy to hang stuff on the inside walls like cabinets and shelves.

I have kinda been leaning towards the 24ga tin so far myself. I just have to get to the city and find out who can get it for me in 6x8 sheets! lol

I have kinda been leaning towards the 24ga tin so far myself. I just have to get to the city and find out who can get it for me in 6x8 sheets! lol

:)24 ga is only .028 thick or about 1/32" ........you could get inside with a can opener........
I would suggest using 16 ga. which is about .060 thick or about 1/16" thick...........the weight per sq.ft. on 24 is 1.156 lbs versus 2.565 lbs on the 16 ga...........most supply houses carry sheet metal in Galvanized or Electro paintlok for easy painting..........stay away from the bare sheet metal unless you can etch it quickly then prime and get some paint on it.

You can also use some horizontal pre-colored finished aluminum siding for the trailer that is designed to be overlapped over each sheet so it does not leak. Most trailer or camper supply stores will sell it. They may even have some pre-bent bows for the roof...........they also have special screws to attache siding..............Hope this helps.
:D:D:D:D

Thanks for the thoughts, but I have a 4x8 sheet of 16 ga sitting on the shop floor. That is unacceptably heavy for even this size trailer. lol I wouldn't be able to carry any cargo! I need something in between those two sizes maybe. Isn't a car body 20 or 22 ga?

I've been looking at the RV style sheets, and they are too expensive for me to get right now. Even the Lowe's corrugated sheets are getting out of hand, price-wise. But I will probably end up with one of those in the end.

Thanks for the thoughts, but I have a 4x8 sheet of 16 ga sitting on the shop floor. That is unacceptably heavy for even this size trailer. lol I wouldn't be able to carry any cargo! I need something in between those two sizes maybe. Isn't a car body 20 or 22 ga?

I've been looking at the RV style sheets, and they are too expensive for me to get right now. Even the Lowe's corrugated sheets are getting out of hand, price-wise. But I will probably end up with one of those in the end.

:)Car bodies are 20 ga. but because of the bends and curves they can use lighter sheet metal and still retain some rigidity.....flat panels of that same light guage require a lot of backing.............Good Luck.
:D:D:D:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom