what kind of lift do I have if any

what kind of lift do I have if any

wadeo5247

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj7 5 speed strait six with FI
2007 dodge mega cab 4x4 5.9 Cummings
How can I tell how big a lift I have if any, I know for sure that I have a 3" body lift ( not sure if thats a good or bad thing. Whats your take on that?) I'm running 35-12.5-15 right now. Thanks for the help in advance

some pics might help us on the lift. A 3in. body lift is a bad thing, way to much stress on the body mounts, 1in is about all you want.

I've heard from others that a 1-in body lift is the most that's typically recommended. I don't think there's much of a difference (~0.5-in?) between 1-in mounts and the stock mounts. Any taller than 1-in could create torque at the frame/body mount interface. I guess any lift would raise the center of gravity. Perhaps wider tires or axles could offset that. (Just a layman's opinion though).

Correct me if I'm wrong but if it was done right (the body lift) than shouldn't it have some changes done else where? (aka drive shafts, fan, linkage,?) If so what will I have to do to change this back to spec.? I know that the PO put an elec. fan kit on it.

Hopefully someone else will answer, but if the only lift added was the 3-in body lift, I doubt other modifications would have occurred due to that. Maybe the lift was added to allow larger tires?

The electric fan was likely installed for more HP, as clutch fans rob power from the engine. You might have longer than stock radiator hoses.

I reckon everything else (engine, tranny, etc,) is attached to the frame and installed relative to the height of the frame. These might have been modified if the suspension was lifted >2.5-in.

Post some photos of the items in question and folks will tell you if they've been modified.

some of the things that body lifts affect are
brake lines to the master cyl. need to be longer
the steering shaft needs to be longer
the fan no longer fits in the shroud
sometimes the shift or clutch linkages need to be extended also
basically anything that attaches to the body gets moved up and is no longer the right lenght or height to things attached to the frame.

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the info. I'm outta town right now but as soon as I get back I will get some photos up I'm glad to hear that about the body lift not a big fan of them... But I was worried about what I would get into with trying to go back stock. I am pretty sure that there is some kinda suspension lift on the jeep which I do like... Like I said I will be posting some photos up real soon..
Thanks Again Wade

here are some pictures of my CJ7

Attachments

• 100_2550.jpg
    100_2550.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 100_2551.jpg
    100_2551.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 100_2556.jpg
    100_2556.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 326
The electric fan was likely installed for more HP, as clutch fans rob power from the engine.
There is an interesting debate regarding that remark.

This reminds me of an argument that says "If you install wind generators on the sides of an electric car will it make the car more efficient? As the car drives, the wind will make electricity as the generators turn."

My opinion on the topic is that whenever one form of energy is converted to another there are always losses.
The fan blades of the generators cause more drag but make electricity. Since the wind must turn the generators there must be losses and the electric car would be better off to be streamlined and have NO wind generators. To stay efficient don't convert one form of energy to another.

As for the electric fan, It needs the alternator to produce more electricity. When the electricity is used to power a fan (or anything else) the alternator becomes harder to turn. Since the electric fan requires the mecanical energy of the rotating fan belt to turn the alternator and then make electricity to power the electric fan there are too many conversions of the energy. Each conversion causes more energy losses. Therefor I say the electric fan robs MORE energy than the engine turning a mechanical fan.

What was the question?
How much lift?
Sight along the top of the spring eyes of the leaf springs to see how much lift the springs have. This only takes into account the springs. The shackles are normally 3 inches long.
_24026.jpg

I ain't a mechanic, but I've heard that a mechanical fan will move more air than is needed at highway speeds, thereby wasting HP.
The electric fans draw a constant power (depending on the number of fan speeds) regardless of engine speed.
Apparently, the major car companies believe that electrics are more efficient.

Im guessing 4" lift springs...Ditch the body lift before you kill yourself :(

I will def be getting rid of the body lift and going stock there, I don't know what it matters but I just got the title from my buddy that I bought it from and its actually a 76 not a 77

electric fans are the way to go for several reasons, the first being what you stated, the second is because they are mounted with a shroud, most shrouds are no longer on older CJs, and third is if you study the way a radiator works, a fan mounted the way a electric is works more efficiently.

a word about body lifts, body lifts will give you clearance for articulation and are cheap, the first is the reason you want on and the second is why so many want them. On jeeps that need it, which CJs do not, it gives you space to bring the drive train higher to protect it. YJs and TJs need that desperately. The down side is the amount of leverage they create on teh mounting bolts and these bolts wear out at the worst time. Causing injury and death at time. Lots of pictures with trucks that have the body seared off out there caused by 3 or 4 inch body lifts. using larger bushings is wrong, you can cut off the frame mounts and make longer ones that works real well. That is a lot of work if you do it and expensive if you do not. The reason suspension lifts are recommended is you get Heavier duty parts to deal with terrain and bigger tires. Nuff Said

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the info guys I will def be getting rid of the body lift I really don't even like how it looks I do like the elec. fans though.. My biggest worry is when I go back to factory what will I need to change again I know that the break lines were changed out I can't tell if the steering linkage was changed any, other than that I believe it should go back to factory somewhat easily??? I hope anyways....:)

I have the same question. I just bought an 84 CJ 7 three weeks ago. Looks like no lift. Looks like no spacers between the springs and the azles and only 3" shackles from bolt to bolt. It is still pretty tall due to 32X11.5. Needs new leaf springs and want make sure of what I have. I think the springs are original, the drivers side is about an inch low.

Ah yes, I see what you mean. There is only a spring perch. Well, based on what I am observing the only way this jeep could be lifted is with a spring lift right? How would I know?

the only way this jeep could be lifted is with a spring lift right? How would I know?

Yes, your (3inch) measurement says there is not shackle lift.
Is there a body lift?
Otherwise, yes, it sounds like you would only have a spring lift if any. Here's how I measure for a spring lift:
_24026.jpg

(I guess you already saw this image)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks