Engine What is a good Cam for a 258

Duration / Lift?

Unfortunately that’s a broad and loaded question... it takes a lot of things to figure that one out, what’s your compression? Stock/ported/edelbrock heads? Carb? Intended use? You looking for torque or horsepower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I talked to my guy at the machine shop that did all my machining, he looked into it for my 258. He said he really only found 1 for fuel injection. It was a Comp Cam. I'm sure I could have done something custom, but didn't want to go overboard. Can't tell you about performance yet, engine is still on the stand. Been working on steering parts and just put the EFI new pump into the new tank I just got Friday.

So many factors... What is the intended use of the Jeep? Mostly street or off-road? The percentage? Do you want mileage?
Please give more details...

CJ,
The jeep sees very little off road use. Looking for a little more grunt rowing thru the gears, and some midrange so I can accelerate w/o downshifting while in OD (T5 tranny). Headers are being installed now. The plan is to follow with a Holley Sniper and the cam sometime later this year. I don't need a race cam; thinking in terms of something with a sweet spot around 3500 rpm.

Gert,
Stock heads, although I may have them ported and polished. Looking more for torque than HP. Not planning any high rpm action...

I used a Comp-Cam in my build. Can't remember the number off the top of my head but I'll post it when I find it. It was designed for low end torque and towing. Hardly any lope to it but a lot of torque. I like it a lot. Will post number when/if I find my build book.

Another vote for Comp-Cam. That's what i'm running and I like it.

Finally found my build book. The cam I used was a Comp Cam 68-201-4. It's a towing cam for low end torque. It lopes a little but not bad.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks