Water pump woes

Water pump woes

elwood blues

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.
I'm just here to vent because I just had to ordered a second water pump 🤬

A little background info, I've had my CJ for 15 years now. At some point during that time, I remember changing the water pump, there's been a lot of life happen in that amount of time, so I remember having some issues, but I remember getting it right and it hasn't been an issue since. About a month ago I noticed water coming from the weep hole and a distinct noise coming from the front end of the engine that sounded like a failing waterpump bearing.

So, I got online and ordered another from a very reputable online retailer. Start the teardown, spill coolant/water mix all over the garage floor, just for good measure 🙄, while I'm at it, I got new belts, because they're probably 10 or more years old. I had to wait on those, and holy :dung: are they expensive now BTW, for Gates green strip belts it was $24 and $27 a piece at O'Reilly, holy :dung:!

I get the old water pump off and get the new one out of the box, and I notice the impellers are different.

Old one looks like this
wp-478_02__ra_p.jpg

The new one looks like this
252-628_Alternate2__ra_p.jpg

I texted a friend, a guy who I trust his auto knowledge, he says it looks right, it might just flow more water. Okay, let's get it back together than. I get everything bolted back up, tighten up all the hose clamps a second time because there were a couple of drips, I fired it up and back it out of the garage. It starts getting warm, fast, the temp gauge is steadily headed towards the H and I'm getting a little concerned. Carefully reach down behind the PS pump and squeeze the lower radiator house, it feels empty, jump inside, pull a couple of cables and crank up the fan, no heat either... shut her down and coolant comes boiling out of the overflow, great more coolant on the ground 🙄... I get the antifreeze gallon jug out of the recycling and get the overflow hose in it before I loose too much coolant.

After I get everything cleaned up again, and the CJ pushed back in the garage, I do a little Google digging. The water pump I put on (the 2nd picture) is the reverse rotation of the pump I took off. The one I installed is for a later year 258 with a serpentine belt, NOT my 78 with V-belts.

I just ordered the one from the first pic, I guess tonight's project is going to be taking the water pump off again.

Anyway, I just wanted to share in case anyone else is trying to find this info, and to share in my frustration ;)

Man, that sucks. Luckily it a high frustration level, no damage issue. Once it’s back together this will fade pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good catch on it. Most would have gone for a drive and then be in a real predicament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I didn't realize they were different. I almost bought a later model pump off craigslist

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom