Water pump woes

Water pump woes

elwood blues

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.
I'm just here to vent because I just had to ordered a second water pump 🤬

A little background info, I've had my CJ for 15 years now. At some point during that time, I remember changing the water pump, there's been a lot of life happen in that amount of time, so I remember having some issues, but I remember getting it right and it hasn't been an issue since. About a month ago I noticed water coming from the weep hole and a distinct noise coming from the front end of the engine that sounded like a failing waterpump bearing.

So, I got online and ordered another from a very reputable online retailer. Start the teardown, spill coolant/water mix all over the garage floor, just for good measure 🙄, while I'm at it, I got new belts, because they're probably 10 or more years old. I had to wait on those, and holy :dung: are they expensive now BTW, for Gates green strip belts it was $24 and $27 a piece at O'Reilly, holy :dung:!

I get the old water pump off and get the new one out of the box, and I notice the impellers are different.

Old one looks like this
wp-478_02__ra_p.jpg

The new one looks like this
252-628_Alternate2__ra_p.jpg

I texted a friend, a guy who I trust his auto knowledge, he says it looks right, it might just flow more water. Okay, let's get it back together than. I get everything bolted back up, tighten up all the hose clamps a second time because there were a couple of drips, I fired it up and back it out of the garage. It starts getting warm, fast, the temp gauge is steadily headed towards the H and I'm getting a little concerned. Carefully reach down behind the PS pump and squeeze the lower radiator house, it feels empty, jump inside, pull a couple of cables and crank up the fan, no heat either... shut her down and coolant comes boiling out of the overflow, great more coolant on the ground 🙄... I get the antifreeze gallon jug out of the recycling and get the overflow hose in it before I loose too much coolant.

After I get everything cleaned up again, and the CJ pushed back in the garage, I do a little Google digging. The water pump I put on (the 2nd picture) is the reverse rotation of the pump I took off. The one I installed is for a later year 258 with a serpentine belt, NOT my 78 with V-belts.

I just ordered the one from the first pic, I guess tonight's project is going to be taking the water pump off again.

Anyway, I just wanted to share in case anyone else is trying to find this info, and to share in my frustration ;)

Man, that sucks. Luckily it a high frustration level, no damage issue. Once it’s back together this will fade pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good catch on it. Most would have gone for a drive and then be in a real predicament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I didn't realize they were different. I almost bought a later model pump off craigslist

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks