Build Thread Update on my 84 CJ-7 Build

Build Thread Update on my 84 CJ-7 Build

KaiScott

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7
Hey all,

I thought it would be good to make a post about my CJ build and include some things like what I wish I knew before starting this:

First, I bought this jeep late summer of 2019. I found inspiration during this pandemic to start working on it. From March to June is the timeframe of my work.

The first things I did was fluids and Bedliner. I bedlinered the entire inside and I love how it turned out. I purchased a Rustoleum roll-on bed liner kit and it worked very very well.
Following that, I started to come across many new problems. I purchased an EAG rear bumper primarily because I needed a two-inch hitch for my bike rack. The rear cross-member was pretty much destroyed. It was warped and rusted. Also, I removed the transfer case plate and the engine/transmission pretty much fell out. During all this, I also installed new one-inch lift polyurethane body bushings because the previous ones were very rotted. I crawled my very sad jeep to Four Star, one of my local shops. At the shop, a new rear cross-member was welded on, new engine mounts, and some more welding for the body bushings. Also, a new valve cover was installed because the last one got a hole punched in it when the engine tipped.
Following that mess, it became apparent that I needed a new carb. I purchased a Weber 32/36 with an electric choke. I had that installed and tuned by Nick's Automotive. Finally, the last step was the lift kit. It is a rough country 4-inch lift. With the help of a few buddies we were able to install it, but it was pretty far from easy. The pitman arm was near impossible to remove, we had to chop many bolts, and the instructions weren't very good.

Below is the final product and I am really happy with it. Those are 33 by 12.5 general grabbers and they really complete the build.
Here are some things I wish I knew before starting this build: Everything is going to be rusty or seized, you will need a breaker bar and some sort of cutting fluid, power tools including an impact drill, Dremel, and cutting wheel will make your life much better, try to find a friend with a car lift, not necessary but very helpful, oil will get everywhere. Also, if you are doing a pretty big lift as I did, you will need new brake lines and, what surprised me, and longer drive shaft. I have yet to change my driveshaft,
but as some of you may know, separating your driveshaft from your axle will absolutely ruin your day.

The first picture is how it started in the spring, the bottom three are it now.
If you have any questions or opinions please comment!
IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3622 2.jpgIMG_3623 2.jpgIMG_3624 2.jpg

It looks really nice, it seems like you are ready for an off-road adventure.

First, your rig looks really nice. Second, just think of all the valuable experience you gained by doing the work mostly your self. BTW, there has always been a thread for "what to do after getting that CJ home".

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks