Steering Universal Steering Columns

Steering Universal Steering Columns

Super8mm

Active Jeeper
Bronze Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5, 4 cyl, Borg Warner/Ford SR-4 4 spd, Dana 300 transfer case.
Start a heart transplant mid November with LS1 and SM465 :-)
Are the universal steering columns from Flaming River and IDIDIT the same?

Does anyone have experence with either one.

I am thinking of going with the univesal and adding a ignition switch in the dash.

From what I have seen of other that start rebuilding their existing one they can get a bit pricey with stuff that is broken off and cracked inside.

I don't have any experience with Ididit or Flaming River. I used one from Columns Galore and it was great. A true CJ column professionally rebuilt and customized for my need. Existing mount, length, and connection to my Borgeson intermediate shaft all fit and worked perfectly. They even supplied a new bearing cup kit and the blinker switch. Here's a write-up: New Column Install

I don't have any experience with Ididit or Flaming River. I used one from Columns Galore and it was great.
Thanks, I will give them a look :tu:

I have used Flaming River before and had no issues.
Thank you, did you get the 30" and key and tilt?

Thank you, did you get the 30" and key and tilt?
That is what I used in my 3B, minus the switch. Zero problems-well maybe one. Save your money on the dimmer switch option for the wand. Those don't have sufficient clearance for the wires at the base and eventually short out. I did use Flaming River's electronic dimmer unit and that works well. Currently, that is wired up to both a floor switch and a dash switch. I made a clamp-on housing for the ignition switch.
16916038025_8830592be5_b.jpg

That is what I used in my 3B, minus the switch. Zero problems-well maybe one.
Thanks, that is what I am leaning toward, Is that a Grant steering wheel?

Thanks, that is what I am leaning toward, Is that a Grant steering wheel?
Yes. I ended up eventually machining out a new horn button for it.
51529454591_07657c3ddb_b.jpg

Yes. I ended up eventually machining out a new horn button for it.
Thanks, is the material on the outer ring holding up ok?

Thanks, is the material on the outer ring holding up ok?
Yes. Still looks new and I think I purchased the steering wheel in 2008.

duffer, the gauge relocation behind the steering wheel is great. Do you mind posting details about the sidemount rearview mirror…

duffer, the gauge relocation behind the steering wheel is great. Do you mind posting details about the sidemount rearview mirror…
Those will be difficult to obtain. I made them from aluminum. Excuse the bug guts---
14219420510_df1b6f6d88_b.jpg

9773764654_61392ff388_b.jpg

Those mount in the stock position on a flat fender. If one is keen on boredom, there are quite a few photos of that Willys here: (Link)-> 1955 Willys CJ 3B -<
I purchased the "B" in 1972 and it has morphed into at least 5 different configurations, each a little more well adapted to my use. But at my age, its present state is likely the final edition for me.

I have my Flaming River column and I have a few question before I start taking things apart.

I have seen on some columns that the bottom of the shaft there is a cross grove where the clamp bolt goes through on the splines are.

Does anyone know if the 80 shaft has that grove for the bolt?

Also the instructions don't say anything about having a certain rotation of the shaft, does it not matter?

A bit late.

I believe all AMC CJ’s used the same style splined coupling with a clamp and bolt through grove. Newer aftermarket steering shaft couplings use set screws instead. I think you have to align the turn signal cancellation points and mount the steering wheel as a starting point for the upper shaft.

“From what I have seen of other that start rebuilding their existing one they can get a bit pricey with stuff that is broken off and cracked inside.”

I don’t think that this is true especially for the non tilt.

What went wrong with your unit…

Are you going to sell it…

What went wrong with your unit…

Are you going to sell it…
the starter setup wont work, it was always hard to turn when I got it a couple of years ago. I did have to clean up the horn ring to get the horn to work and there is a lot of rust on the top end like it set outside with the top off for a spell, at least the pulled all the drain plugs "LOL"

My plan was to go through it and do a total rebuild with new bearing and plastic parts but for me it was not for me in the end so I got a new one with tilt. I need the tilt is because the new seats set higher and my belly was in the way, I got a 13.75" steering wheel too.

I was figuring on just trashing the old one. If you want it message me.

Post image of final results of your new column please.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks