Trouble keeping Solenoid for KC lights

Trouble keeping Solenoid for KC lights

ftwflh

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ 5, 232 6cyl 3spd lots of rust,good frame,Dana 44s w/373 gears,ProComp 4in lift kit
I dont use my KCs very often but like them to work when I need them.I have the second solenoid go bad.First one was a cheap lawn mower type(had it laying around and tried it)worked for a while.Then I got a Ford starter solenoid at it work when put on and a few times I checked it.Now last night I went to use them and nothing.Checked it out this morning with a jumper wire and no power through the solenoid.Can jump from the hot post to the out put and they come on can go from switch wire and they come on.
What kind or brand of solenoid do I need to get that will hold put?

How many amps are you pulling through the solenoid, as they are not designed for continuous use?

Have you thought about using a relay to turn the lights on, they are available up to 40 amps and you could put one on each light and run the relay off one switch.

A starter solenoid (there actually is no solenoid in them) is way overkill for lights in addition to not being rated for continuous use. A simple relay will work much better.

The brand doesn't matter as much as the current rating. You need 30 or 40 amp relay.
20084412173_RLY-351.jpg

These will have 4 or 5 connections. Either will work. The terminals will be labeled 30, 85, 86, 87. (Do NOT ask me how they came up with this numbering scheme). If there is a 5th terminal it will be labeled 87A but you don't need to use it. (as an FYI the one with 5 terminals is a DPDT and 4 terminals is a SPDT)

I dont use my KCs very often but like them to work when I need them.I have the second solenoid go bad.First one was a cheap lawn mower type(had it laying around and tried it)worked for a while.Then I got a Ford starter solenoid at it work when put on and a few times I checked it.Now last night I went to use them and nothing.Checked it out this morning with a jumper wire and no power through the solenoid.Can jump from the hot post to the out put and they come on can go from switch wire and they come on.

:)Note: Continuous duty solenoids do exist and I would agree they are overkill for a light duty lighting circuit............but do work well when doing a Heavy Duty Winch circuit using Battery cables.

:D:D:D:D

Welcome to Waytek

I am partial to these. lights, fans, radios , whatever.:D

How would you hard wire one of these in.I have positive wire coming from the battery to the solenoid,power from my fuse block to the switch to the solenoid,wire from solenoid to lights. How do I go about useing a reley with the prongs and keepin it water tight.

If IO doesn't mind me answering for him, here's the wiring diagram.
wiring_relay_diagram1.png
Both (all) lights connect to the terminal marked 87. The connector IO had a link to also has a 5th terminal marked 87A that you don't need to use.
75610FL.gif

that is pretty much it ^^^ I use the High beam circuit to positive of coil and a switch to ground. This way the day lighters only come on with the high beams on but they are still on a toggle switch. :cool:

I have done the same thing with all the loads except the heater fan so no real current runs through any of the switches on the dash. and every thing is powered directly from the battery. :D

And remember, the 87a terminal/wire will be hot when the relay is not powered, that is the normally closed contact so don't just let it flap in the breeze, cap it off.

This relay and plug are about as water tight as you are going to get.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I will pick up those parts and try my luck

relays can be sort of fun to play with. Bosh has some cool diagrams for locks and holding relays check out the site.:cool:

I disagree that brand doesn't matter. Get Tyco or Bosch (same thing, made in Portugal). The cheap chinese :dung: will fail when they get wet.

I use these on my KC lights, my ATV lights (HID's installed) and for backup accessory lights. If you search on ebay you can get a pack of 5 Tyco relays with plug harnesses fairly cheap.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks