TCase Transfer Case Question

Transfer case
TCase Transfer Case Question

eazywind02

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7
Need some help here? I have a 78 CJ7, that I have an AMC 360, T-18 manual transmission and a Dana 20 transfer case. My problem is, I think that I have an issue with my transfer case, but not entirely sure. It had been recently rebuilt and I had no issues driving around for a few hundred miles. All of a sudden I started hearing a noise that I thought had been coming from my rear end, but I inspected everything and the only thing I found was a left rear blown axle seal. Easy fix. The noise sounds like metal being lathed and a slight pull when it happens. I’ve stopped driving it because it’s unnerving. I’ve drained the oil and it looked fine (small flakes that I attributed to breaking in). Has anyone had a similar issue and maybe I’m just focusing in the wrong area. Zero off road driving since I had been breaking the vehicle in from a major rebuild. Thanks for any guidance and/or assistance.

Attachments

• 778938E2-2705-4FA3-9F16-C7BE1F92C308.jpeg
    778938E2-2705-4FA3-9F16-C7BE1F92C308.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 10
Welcome aboard!! If the Jeep is pulling to one side when the noise appears, I would look at brakes and bearings on the side it pulls to. I wouldn’t think it would favor one side over the other if it were trans or transfer case related.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom