Tranny-less cj5 question. What to insert

Tranny-less cj5 question. What to insert

Desertgator

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Possible project buyer. 1969 cj5 Buick v6 no tranny
So I am possibly buying a 1969 CJ5 with a Buick v6. It doesn't have a transmission, the previous owner broke it and was going to do a v8 swap. I have searched the web for hours trying to find a simplified answer to what transmission I will need as well as transfer case. I have heard that the sm420 works very well and is a strong tranny, and bolts up very well to the bell housing. I have no idea what kind of axles it has, they may be non-stock axles. I want to put the best tranny and transfer case I can into the jeep. What is suggested as a durable, yet easy replacement?

The jeep is advertised at $1300 and seems to be in fairly decent shape otherwise. I have not had a chance to look at it yet, but for my funding it seems like the perfect starter project. Any advise is much appreciated.

What are your plans for it? Will it be mostly highway or off road? Does it still have the original bell housing? Those answers will help with better suggestions.
Novak Jeep Conversions - Home these guys have a wealth of information about transmissions too.

THat Jeep originally came with a T-14 and a D-18 I believe small hole transfer case. Remember the rear axle is fed from the right side. I'd stick with the D-18. Why? The D-18 will take a neat over drive that replaces the PTO. I've got a buddy that runs the over drive and he loves it. It's not just an over drive, you can split most any gear with it.

What are your plans for it? Will it be mostly highway or off road? Does it still have the original bell housing? Those answers will help with better suggestions.
Novak Jeep Conversions - Home these guys have a wealth of information about transmissions too.

I would assume it does have the original bell housing, I haven't went to see it yet. As for what my plans are, I want something I can do some off-roading in, but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice road-worthiness.

THat Jeep originally came with a T-14 and a D-18 I believe small hole transfer case. Remember the rear axle is fed from the right side. I'd stick with the D-18. Why? The D-18 will take a neat over drive that replaces the PTO. I've got a buddy that runs the over drive and he loves it. It's not just an over drive, you can split most any gear with it.

It would have had the T14 and a large index D18 Tcase. While the SM420 is lighter than the SM465, I believe the latter is a much better choice for an 80-81" wheelbase Jeep. Novak's adapter for the SM465 makes that transmission+adapter about 3 to 4" shorter than the 420.

Adapting the SM465 to Dana 18 & 20 Transfer Cases

The 465 is also significantly more beef and easier to find parts for. I would keep the D18. Plenty stout and having the overdrive option is a very big plus. It also will give you the best rear driveshaft angle and I like having both diffs in line for trail riding.

Are you going to keep the 225? Other than it doesn't have a huge parts selection like a small block Chevy, it's a good engine and can make adequate power for a CJ.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks