towing a cj cross country

towing a cj cross country

tomass

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
I have a 1965 cj-5 with the original 4cyl engine, t-90 traney and dana 18 transfer case. it has a 3" lift and was an air force jeep.
I am re locating and am planning on towing my cj behind the moving truck. If I dolly with the front wheels off of the ground I know I will have to disconnect the rear drive shaft, but since there is no steering lock how do I keep the jeep from being able to pivot on the front tires?

I'm not sure that would be a problem, you will strap down the wheels to the dolly and with the trailer ball it should not be trying to turn the Jeeps wheels in turns. Typicaly you use tow dollies with front wheel drive vehicles I'm pretty sure so you need to be able to lock the front wheels from turning(spinning) and allow the rears to freewheel(driveshaft disco).

If you're worried about it I have seen a tow truck driver take the seat belt and strap it around the bottom spoke of the steering wheel and buckle it to lock the wheel. Works better with belts that lock when you pull them all the watt out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I didn't have an issue when I towed mine from Utah to CT.

Might want to check with U Haul (or your rental co.) IIRC they say to unlock the column.

Also beware of tire size. When I towed mine with a U Haul dolly, the straps would not fit a 32" tire. Had to get a set of smaller rollers for the front.

And one other thing, don't get into a situation where you have to back up.:D

I am re locating and am planning on towing my cj behind the moving truck.
Just curious, but how much more is it to rent a trailer vice the dolly? (if the moving truck is large enough)

A trailer would be my 1st choice, tow bar 2nd, dolly last.

I would agree with this 100%. :notworthy:
x2!! Trailered CJ from Seattle to San Diego with Ryder during a move; and flat towed behind my pickup from San Diego to Va during another move. Probably have 10k miles flat towing, and think it's a good way to go.... as long as you're not too busted!:D

For what it would cost to rent a trailer you can almost buy a towbar. And with a CJ having a towbar is always a good thing. I use mine all the time.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned... I moved from Boston to Chicago and had my Jeep shipped in an enclosed trailer and paid somewhere around $750. An open trailer was like $250 less.

Renting a tow dolly from Uhaul was like $550.

Figure in the cost of gas and reduced mileage pulling that dolly behind, I'm sure it would have been a wash.

Anyways, I had zero problems and it made my move a hell of a lot easier.

Leaving Boston:

3571d1281673521-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_6049.jpg

Arriving Chicago:
3572d1281673521-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_6092.jpg

Just make sure you unlock the hubs, put the transfer in neutral, and the trans in neutral, parking brake off.

Thanks for all the tips! I have till August to figure it out but My Gf is fallowing me in the van in her truck so I think I will check into having it trucked up by a car moving company or get a tow bar and having her tow it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks